Filter Needed?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

satrop

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
In another post I mentioned that I have a spare 2Gal tank that I was thinking about turing into a planted shrimp nano tank. Would I need a filter or would a weekly 10% and a bi-weekly 25% water change be okay?

What kind of shrimp are you thinking of having? Just curious. :) I'd like to have some one day.
I'd recommend a filter regardless.. you can make a DIY sponge filter fairly cheap.

Shrimp are generally more sensitive then fish, so a filter is a must.   Depending on the shrimp, a 2g is suitable.   You could do something hardy like cherry shrimp, or one of their hardy color variants (discluding a couple that are extremely inbred and sensitive), or sulawesi shrimp would be a good fit as they are extremely small, and very hardy as well.   I would steer clear of amano as they are quite large, crystal red because they are sensitive as well, most of the dwarf shrimp really just get a little to large for such a small sized tank, so do a little research on the individual type before you get it.

As ninjouzata said, you can buy or make a cheap sponge filter, that is the best for shrimp.

Yeah, agreed with others I'd go for a Red Cherry Shrimp or maybe a colour variant of this like yellow or orange, although these tend to be a little more sensitive than RCS but with steady water parameters and no temperature fluctuations or ph swings, that should be ok.

Although shrimps don't tend to do all that well in new tank set ups, I'd recommend just RCS as these are the cheapest and hardiest and get maybe 4 of these for a 2 gal as RCS do breed pretty prolifically when they are settled. 

A simple sponge filter run by an air pump will be fine for shrimps.
(although I have not used these personally yet)

Something like this maybe

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JBL-Prosilent-TekAir-Air-Filter-BARGAIN-PRICE-/231088478596?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&hash=item35cdf25984

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks for the great advice all!

LOVE the sound of trying a DIY filter! But the cost of buying a simple sponge filter is a good option to. Love the look of the red cherry shrimp. In another post I asked what would be a good light for low level light needing plants and some one suggested an 8 watt LED light system would be okay. Anyone say different? Would the shrimp be okay with that?

This is great food for thought and when I pull the trigger I shall document the whole thing :)

Well low light plants are pretty easy to grow and the tank is small so as long as the LEDs provides a well rounded spectrum of colour then 8 watt should be fine, I have grown Java Fern under two white LED bulbs fine before, they are so hardy its unreal. If you are interested in DIY then take a look at this you could build the lights as well as the filter! ;) I would love to see this when its done! And a filter is always good to have, it will produce nitrates from fish waste, plants use nitrates to grow and also filters stop ammonia building up if you missed a water change for any reason.

Most reactions

Back