Filter Motor Is Dying

Hoppo

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
The motor on my HOB AquaClear is dead or dying. I came home yesterday and it wasnt spinning. It was on and plugged in and extremly hot. So I unplugged it and took it out, thinking it might be jammed or something. Rinsed it off and turned the prop by had and it was free. Plugged it back in and it wouldnt spin, I had to mess with it. Finally got it to spin, put everything back together and it worked for maybe 5 mins and stopped again. Messed it with it again, got it to run and it ran through the night. This morning as I was getting ready for work it started to make a loud clicking noise. I unplugged it and left it. Threw a large airstone in the tank as well as my bubble tube running to keep the water moving and O2'd and prayed for my Cories.

So now I'm waiting for my neighbor to come home and get her old filter from her tank that she took down a few months back. But how long do filter motors last, and can I just go out and by a new motor? I dont need the whole filter assembly.

They should last for years without having to replace anything. My oldest aquaclear is still going after 12 years. I've never seen the motor for sale anywhere. It's probably cheaper to replace the whole thing. Although maybe it's something you can order off their website?

My Aquaclear has a lifetime warranty on the motor. Just contact their tech support and they will probably replace it for the price of shipping.

Poke your finger inside, or if you have fat fingers like me, use a pen or some such to give the impeller a spin after it is plugged in. Being small motors they don't have the starting circuitry associated with larger AC motors.

I was on the Hagen website and they show all the different filters and parts, but no place to order them.

I did the pen trick to give the impeller a spin, thats what I ment by "messing with it" sorry. My technical terms arent precise.

Dr Foster & Smith carries the impellers, as well as other parts for that filter. If you need other items, or have other pets you need things for once you hit $49 in merchandise shipping is free. Having 3 dogs besides the fish this is all too easy to hit for me.

Dr Foster & Smith carries the impellers, as well as other parts for that filter. If you need other items, or have other pets you need things for once you hit $49 in merchandise shipping is free. Having 3 dogs besides the fish this is all too easy to hit for me.

I don't have any other pets, and I've never paid for shipping from them. Even if you don't have to buy all that stuff, the base price of $5.99 is still pretty cheap. They get my recommendation as the best online source for supplies - bar none.

I heard of them, I'll check out there website. Thanks Guys.

Hey Eagles, where in the Philly area you from? I'm in the NE.

Most reactions

Back