Filter Medias Which One?

denzil1nil

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
i have a second hand fluval 305 external filter and have been looking at getting some new filter sponges on ebay the best price i can see is around £6 for a pack of 2 sponges specificaly for this pump.

Q1, Is there a cheaper substitute i can use that will do the same job?

When it comes to filter media there are so many different types and to keep replacing these as advised in the fluval manual would surley cost a fortune (not that i would replace all my sponges at once due to the benificial bacteria im daft but not that daft).

Q2, Do i really need to add all the media it recommends in the manual or can i just use normal sponge media and carbon media if and when ive medicated?

Well in many countries you can be shot for not using the manufacturer's recommended media........

Use whatever you want. There are no rules. I am a big fan of the lowly sponge. You might want you use some filter floss as well to catch the finer particles.

I have sponges in one basket in one of my Eheim Pro IIs and they work just fine.

1st Filter wool 3- buck a bag
2nd Noodles 8-12 buck container
3rd Matrix 12-18 buck container
4th Matrix """ """""

Worked for me? Until i realized that a sumP would be better!

just one more question what flavour noodles should i use?

will beef and tomato pot noodle do ???

:blink:

The 'noodles' used in filters aren't actual noodles; they're rings made from unglazed ceramic, like this; ceramic 'noodles'

i was defo jokin about usin edible noodles lol but thanks for that now i know what filter noodles are

i was defo jokin about usin edible noodles lol but thanks for that now i know what filter noodles are
Oh, thank goodness for that!

I'll admit, I did wonder, but you never know, do you?!

will these provide any major benefits over normal sponge media.

I ask because i want to provide the best enviroment that i can afford in my tank when i set it up for the livestock but at the same time i dont want to be spending on unnescessery equipment just because the people who sell these items say you should buy them i want to be buying them because there actually benefiting the fish .

Ive never used an external before but i want it set up right before i put my water in the tank.

lol no you never know :) ive asked some basic questions and im no expert but even ive seen some howlers on here lol

Sponge will hold more bacteria, but it gets clogged more quickly. Noodles hold a lesser amount of bacteria, but don't clog and so don't need cleaning so often.

Swings and roundabouts, really...

should i be cleaning all the gunk out of my filter media? I dont allways squeeze my sponges when cleaning only if the it makes a noticeable difference to the flow (in my existing tank).

No, you just want to get off the loose stuff, although the bacteria do cling onto the surfaces quite strongly, so you don't have to worry too much about washing them away.

Most reactions

Back