Filter Media

Oscar2012

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
My longest aquarium has been running for 5 months now and fully cycled and water stats are spot on, I have a 25 litre aquarium with 1 betta in, if I take some filter media from my established aquarium will it cause any problems and has it been running long enough to be taking media from it, also if I did take media would it be ok to cut the sponges to the size of the filter as they are totally different sizes.

How big is the 5month tank? Ordinarily, you can take up to a third of a mature filter's media, replace it with new stuff and it will suffer no ill effects. However, I think 5 months isn't quite mature enough. You could take say 10% I would think.

Yes you can cut the sponges up.

Hi, it is a fluval roma 90 litres, would 10% make a difference speeding up the cycle in my smaller tank?

Absolutely.  For a single fish, like a betta, you don't need much bacteria at all.  So, you may find that the betta tank would be completely cycled in a matter of a few days, even using so little of the filter media from the other tank.

What's the stocking in the 90L?

I have 10 tetras, 3 platys and 5 corydoras in at the moment, some baby platys but they are going to my local aquatic place soon so won't be in the aquarium for much longer, I will take 10% media out and place it in my small tank, my betta is doing fine and I am testing his water every day and doing daily water changes but I don't want to lose him, thanx for advice
Meant to say 10 neon tetras

I have just took about 10% of media out my aquarium and put in my new 25 litre aquarium filter, would you still test daily for ammonia and nitrites and do water changes depending what results are?

Yup.  I always test daily when setting up a new tank. (For me, its usually a QT.)

Thanx will still test daily then and do water changes as necessary

Most reactions

Back