Filter media set up

Galvin88

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey guys
I have some Alfa grog media, should I swap it out for the ceramic ball in the photo .
Also should I put the blue media pad that's in with the ceramic balls, with green and floss pads and fill the empty tray with Alfa grog

Attachments

• IMG_20210405_141010.jpg
    IMG_20210405_141010.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_20210405_141031.jpg
    IMG_20210405_141031.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_20210405_141052.jpg
    IMG_20210405_141052.jpg
    248.3 KB · Views: 48
What kind of filter is that?*

It’s generally recommended to to have the blue sponge on the very top and then everything else in this order:
BC138CD3-8678-47D3-A403-8EA64B83C6A6.jpeg

*Assuming this is a canister filter

It's a aquamanta efx 300, I think it's Maidenhead aquatics own (could be wrong)
The way this was set up out of the box is
Tray 1
Wool, phosphate pad carbon bag
Tray 2
Ceramic media, blue sponge
Not in a tray just at the bottom
Plastic bio balls

I'd put sponges at the top, and some filter floss, then have your ceramic in the second tray. The phosphate and Carbon pads are just away of getting your cash, unless you actually need them.

I'd put sponges at the top, and some filter floss, then have your ceramic in the second tray. The phosphate and Carbon pads are just away of getting your cash, unless you actually need them.
Is it worth swapping the ceramic for the Alfa grog

I'm not sure if is if the ceramic is mature, you'll be starting all over again.
if you Google filter pro guy on you tube he shows you how to set up an efx 600.

My tank is around 4 months old.
I keep seeing videos of people saying that the foams should be at the bottom of the filter then the media at the top, so I'm abit confused to which way is best.

Depends on which way the water flows. The foams should be where the water comes in and through the ceramic media to the outlet

it depends on which way round the filter is fed

from the top then foam at top and vice versa for bottom fed one

Most cainsters should have Foam at the bottom so it blocks debris etc and the water is then clear before going through your bio media.

I think it goes down the feeder pipe then up but not 100% sure.

I want to change the ceramic balls for the Ala grog as i have read it's better than the smooth balls. Am I better taking half the balls out and adding half Alfa grog then leave it a few weeks then swap the rest?

According to Maidenhead Aquatics website, it does indeed go straight to the bottom then upwards through the media.

if you are currently using the filter, then i would swap half out and then week or so later the other half

Most reactions

Back