Filter Media Replacement.

kim03333

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
hello all.i've had my tank set up for about 3 months and everything is coming along nicely but i am unsure about what i should be doing with the filter media. sinse i have had the tank i rinsed the filter through with tank water in a bucket a few weeks ago and there was lots of brown gunge. and i mean A LOT! i wasn't expecting it to be that filthy. i then replaced them and everything has been fine. i was just wondering how often i should do this and how often they should be replaced? i know that when they are replaced i should only replace one cartridge at a time. many thanks, kim
when i say i replaced them after rinsing i meant that i put the old cartridges back, not put new ones in there. sorry if i don't make sense

Media only needs to be replaced when its physically coming apart such that it won't perform its mechanical filtration function anymore (ie. sponge coming apart and having holes or big tears, hard media breaking down and crumbling etc.) Most aquarists are able to re-use their media for years before it needs replacement. You are doing the right thing to dunk and squeeze in tank water - that is correct cleaning technique.

~~waterdrop~~

Media only needs to be replaced when its physically coming apart such that it won't perform its mechanical filtration function anymore (ie. sponge coming apart and having holes or big tears, hard media breaking down and crumbling etc.) Most aquarists are able to re-use their media for years before it needs replacement. You are doing the right thing to dunk and squeeze in tank water - that is correct cleaning technique.

~~waterdrop~~
thanks for that. you know the lfs reccommends you replace at least once a month! no prizes for guessing why they want you to do that. how often do you reccomend cleaning the filter?

I clean mine whenever I notice the flow slowing down. For a cartridge type, you will probably notice the water sort of building up behind the filter element and spilling around it. At that point the filter is starting to plug and it's time for a good rinse in tank water.

I generally squeeze out my cannister filter sponges about once a month and also dunk the media trays in tank water, leaving behind most of the debris. I do water changes without cleaning the filter all the other weekends.

~~waterdrop~~

The flow's the indicator, really. If the flow is fine, don't bother. Manufacturers and LFS would LOVE you to buy new media every month, but, as with so many other things in the hobby that shops will tell you that you need, it's just not necessary. Spend your money on something else.

Most reactions

Back