Filter Help!

so is the black plastic pipe extension what they are referring to as a stand off? if so its not needed and wont make much odds to the noise of the filter. Id recommend some duck tape \ tank tap over the top edge and down the back of the tank covering the main contact points of the filter with the tank as a more permanent solution to sound deadening from the vibration.

So is there still noise when you lift the filter a bit by hand? if so try pressing and wiggling and adjusting the flow control, also check the lid of the filter isnt rattling on the body.

so is the black plastic pipe extension what they are referring to as a stand off? if so its not needed and wont make much odds to the noise of the filter. Id recommend some duck tape \ tank tap over the top edge and down the back of the tank covering the main contact points of the filter with the tank as a more permanent solution to sound deadening from the vibration.

So is there still noise when you lift the filter a bit by hand? if so try pressing and wiggling and adjusting the flow control, also check the lid of the filter isnt rattling on the body.

its the motor noise thats annoying i dont think i can do anything about it but.......what the the Stand off Do o.. the stand off is a little piece hold on let me find a pictiure i cant find a picture but its a little piece..

Many noises may sound like a motor noise but not actually be the motor making the noise, the motor itself should be nearly silent in operation especially with the motor being surrounded by water which will dampen the noise, but things like air bubbles and vibrations may sound like a motor being noisey even though the cause is elsewhere especially when a motor is sucking in air it can sound like grinding noises etc.

im uploading apic hold on

heres the link LLLhttp://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w176/energie604/standoff.jpg?t=1184760489LLL

TAKE OFF THE LLL!!

HArd to make out from the picture and tring to fit any sort of meaning of stand off to it... Im wondering if its meant to go on the motor holding the propellor in place or something like that?

thats what im guessing too i don really know it fell out of the box once i opened my filter box....i chedked the name of the piece its called a stand off , im guessing if it is supposed to be placed in the Rotor part of the Filter since im looking at the diagram right now it starts from the bottom like this

Stand Off
Rotor
O-Ring
Power Unit

IF that is designed to hold up the propellor then it will be noisey without it as well as possible wearing and damageing the filter. need actual pictures or instruction scans to give further advice I think :(

geezus i think my fish are going to die i scared the #### out of them, i took the filter out examined it, i found out wat it really was its just a thing u put on the filter to make it stick off the tank...geez all that trouble............the the motor noise is the god damn noise from the rotor which spins

Is the rotor fitted correctly and has the filter had any knocks?
I had a filter angled poorly in a tank, it dropped, the rotor became dislocated and chewed itself up, whilst making an enormous racket...
Also, i asked you about cycling the tank earlier, have you heard of this?

If the rotor is spinning in water with no air present it should be quiet even very cheap filters Ive had at times have been able to run quietly, although normally with a shorter life spans :D. Sometimes air pockets inside a filter can cause noise, normally the likes of interal filters you can tilt them around a bit util all the air leaves the filter. External Cannister filters can become noisey when the inlet is restricted but the filter itself isnt blocked, they tend to gather air bubbles then.

Most filter motors have no real friction points to cause noise. the rotors only contact points with anything but water are normally a rubber cap top and bottom in which it spins, it doesnt normally have contact with anything else but water. The most you should normally get is a gentle hum and the noise of water flowing.

If its loud theres something wrong, unfortunately not being there to take a look and prod things Im not sure where to point you next :(

Most reactions

Back