Filter Floss?

I wash my poly pad every week in tank water and it falls apart on week 2 to 4 then a replace. There is a seller on flea bay who sells the polly pads on a bulk package 25 polly pads and 2 carbon for £5-10 depending on size. I got 25 poly pads for my rio 350l £9 :good:

I've got some in my 55g and 20g filters, i replace them every 3month roughly.. unless they pretty much fall apart when im cleaning the filter.
The stuff works pretty well on my 20g, removed alot of little particals..

the 55g however not so well but i've never tried without the floss on that tank, might give it ago tho.

I also have a secondhand juwel. Once I'd used up the poly pads I bought a bag of that filter wool/floss stuff and I just cut a chunk of that to roughly the right size and use it at the top of the filter. Seems to last much longer... Just rinse it out when I do the weekly water change.

I run and assortment of some 30 filters on my tanks all of which use filter floss. It is a great mech waste media and an awful bio media. Mine gets changed every week in all but the 2/30 filters which are canisters.

You can get nylon batting at fabric stores that you can cut to size for very little money. Just be sure not to get batting that has been treated in any way for bring fire retardant or mold resistant- ie just batting/floss. It is cheap.

I am too lazy and overpay BigAls for it.

i got floss pads in my new Tetratecs, i've not had a look at the state of them yet, only been running them for two weeks, but i dont plan to replace them every few weeks. A good rinse under the tap the opposite way to which the water flows through them will do. Probably a quick dunk in the tank water after too, since they sit on top of bio media.

Most reactions

Back