Filter Cartridge's

RoLo

Reaction score
How often should these be replaced? The instructions that came with my filter say to change them every 4 weeks. Should I follow what they say, or should I wait longer? What is a recommended timeframe for changing them?

erm what type of cartridges are they...

Filter sponge? - NEVER REPLACE THEM

Carbon? - Unless you are clearing meds from the water you don't need it

Zeolite? - You don't need them if your tank is cycled... and if it isn't cycled i reccomend you look at the link in my sig...

Okay well my filter has a cartridge and bio-wheel, and my little brother's is a carbon one(it came with that little carbon meter thing, and its already all the way to top, as it has already been 4 weeks).

Ignore that indicator, it is a chemical timer designed to sell filter cartridges. I never even bothered to install the timer on mine.

The thing you do is rinse out your cartridge whenever it starts to affect flow or more often if you wish. Use the old water in your water change bucket when rinsing to avoid issues with chlorine.

Ignore that indicator, it is a chemical timer designed to sell filter cartridges. I never even bothered to install the timer on mine.

The thing you do is rinse out your cartridge whenever it starts to affect flow or more often if you wish. Use the old water in your water change bucket when rinsing to avoid issues with chlorine.
Does that go for both my carbon filter and my bio-wheel filter?

I have a filter with a bio-wheel too. I took out the carbon filter and replaced it with a piece of filter floss and a filter sponge instead. You can find all different shapes and sizes at pet stores and it doesn't have to be specifically for your filters brand...It just needs to fit well. Then the floss will collect the particles and the sponge will allow extra space for the bacteria to grow.

Don't do anything to your bio-wheel unless its so gunked up it the water isn't flowing well anymore. Then just swirl it in a bucket of old tank water and your good to go!

The biowheel does not need cleaning. It grows a thin layer of bacteria on it that can become a significant part of the total biological filtration in your tank. I only ever clean the pivot points on a wheel.

The biowheel does not need cleaning. It grows a thin layer of bacteria on it that can become a significant part of the total biological filtration in your tank. I only ever clean the pivot points on a wheel.
I know not to clean the biowheel, my question is should I replace the filter cartridge? And on the carbon one I know not to replace the sponge, but was asking about the filter cartridge.

I know not to clean the biowheel, my question is should I replace the filter cartridge? And on the carbon one I know not to replace the sponge, but was asking about the filter cartridge.

what, the plain filter foam? ARE YOU KIDDING? you should NEVEREVEREVEREVEREVER replace that one!

not unless it falls apart so bad you have too. The carbon cartridges are removed because when they get old the carbon can crumble up. But since you don't need the carbon unless you want to clear your water of specific things (medications, cloudy water etc...) you can take it out untill you need it and never replace anything else! woohoo for all the saved cash!

When I have a cartridge fall apart, I cut a slit in a new one, remove the tiny traces of carbon and stuff the old filter cover inside. A few months later the new filter bag is ready to work on its own.

Most reactions

Back