Filter baffling

Oh dear, so after a quick Google it turns out not to be a sponge filter lol. It looks like this

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200602-205802_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20200602-205802_Samsung Internet.jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 76
I have a sponge filter powered by an air pump in my betta's tank. The advantage is that they create a gentle flow perfect for bettas. I have the smallest version of the one on the left in this link.

The advantage with the type I have is they have a hollow core which the instructions say is for filling with carbon, but you could easily put the media from the current filter inside so you don't lose all the bacteria.

The advantage with the type I have is they have a hollow core which the instructions say is for filling with carbon, but you could easily put the media from the current filter inside so you don't lose all the bacteria.
That's a great filter then :D

Unfortunately, without being able to visually see the "flow" in action (see it in person), it is hard to say whether or not it is sufficient in creating enough water circulation with the sponge installed on the outlet... It may be enough flow as is? One positive thing that the installed sponge will do is to provide a great place for beneficial bacteria to colonize, which will greatly increase your tanks biological filtration abilities! :D

Correction..... Sorry, I added this while all of the other comments were being added!!! :p Yes, definitely get a sponge filter!! :)

It does look like it puts out a strong steam, I have not had a betta in a long time but I remember they like genital moving water. Its there a way to angle the stream so it hits the side of the tank and dissipates the force of the water?

It does look like it puts out a strong steam, I have not had a betta in a long time but I remember they like genital moving water. Its there a way to angle the stream so it hits the side of the tank and dissipates the force of the water?
Power filters are made for it, made to put out a strong stream and are unfortunately not suitable for bettas.

Ok so if I go for a sponge filter how does that work? Would that just completely replace my power filter? And what would i do with the cycled sponge inside my correct filter?

I have a sponge filter powered by an air pump in my betta's tank. The advantage is that they create a gentle flow perfect for bettas. I have the smallest version of the one on the left in this link.

Thanks for that. I posted before reading this reply.

Ok so if I go for a sponge filter how does that work? Would that just completely replace my power filter? And what would i do with the cycled sponge inside my correct filter?
Sponge filter is powered by an air pump where you attach a piece of air line tubing to the air pump and you cut it in half and you attach a check valve or something to one and other piece of air line tubing and then you attach the second piece of air line to the check valve and to the filter amd then you plug in the air pump and then you're good to go :)

Sponge filter is powered by an air pump where you attach a piece of air line tubing to the air pump and you cut it in half and you attach a check valve or something to one and other piece of air line tubing and then you attach the second piece of air line to the check valve and to the filter amd then you plug in the air pump and then you're good to go :)
Sorry for all the questions. So would this totally replace my current filter, would it be enough filtration?

Most reactions

Back