Filter Advice

lfckopite

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
HI my problem is i have had a little filter running in my main tank along side my main filter for the last 4 weeks. I was told it would be around 4 weeks for the little filter to become cycled so i put it in my QT and brought ammonia upto 5 ppm and left it running for 16 hours but the ammonia has not dropped so it is not cycled yet so how much longer shall i put it in main tank for ?

you'll need to leave it for as long as it takes - haven't got a clue myself, but I assume these might help:
* turn the power down on your main filter - if its clearing all the ammonia and nitrites itself, your other filter isn't going to get a chance to grow any bacteria
* move some filter media from one to the other - will quickly transfer bacteria
* put your new filter near the water intake on your old filter - if its where the waters being pushed out, I assume the water will be a bit cleaner, so less ammonia/nitrite in that small area?

all just suggestions - i'm sure the experts will have more ideas :) and dont forget to wash the filter with tankwater before putting it back in your main tank - there'll probably be quite a bit of ammonia stuck in the filter pads from the QT)

Well, I think I might let it settle in to the Qtank a few days, rather then just 16 hours before I jumped to that conclusion. You may very well be right, and 4 weeks is just a guideline, not any sort of sure thing. But leave it in there and see just how long it takes to drop the ammonia. It might do it in 24 hours and then might get better over the next days. What's the pH of the Qtank?

Well, I think I might let it settle in to the Qtank a few days, rather then just 16 hours before I jumped to that conclusion. You may very well be right, and 4 weeks is just a guideline, not any sort of sure thing. But leave it in there and see just how long it takes to drop the ammonia. It might do it in 24 hours and then might get better over the next days. What's the pH of the Qtank?
My pH useing high range pH test is 7.4 in QT

It should definately make a dramatic difference to put some biomedia from your main filter among the biomedia of the little filter.

It should definately make a dramatic difference to put some biomedia from your main filter among the biomedia of the little filter.
Were and wot can i put in little filter it only has 1 little sponge and no room for anything else i have biomax in main filter

Were and wot can i put in little filter it only has 1 little sponge and no room for anything else i have biomax in main filter

j/w waterdrop, would it be more effective to give the new filter media a good clean in some old tank water, then put it inside the main filter with the biomax for a week or so?

I could remove carbon out of my cannister this is in bottom basket and put the sponge from little filter in there will this help speed things up

I could remove carbon out of my cannister this is in bottom basket and put the sponge from little filter in there will this help speed things up

I don't see any reason why it wouldnt - once your new media is in the old filter, bacteria should move across reasonably quickly (although, I dont know which way the water goes around your filter, but it'd be best to put it downstream of some other media, otherwise the water movement will slow down the bacteria migrating)

am no expert, but that makes sense to me :)

I don't see any reason why it wouldnt - once your new media is in the old filter, bacteria should move across reasonably quickly (although, I dont know which way the water goes around your filter, but it'd be best to put it downstream of some other media, otherwise the water movement will slow down the bacteria migrating)

am no expert, but that makes sense to me :)
I have a fluval 205 external filter i dont know were it is best to put the sponge

I'd remove the carbon from it's box and stick the sponge in there. I'd then move the boxes of bio-max down, and place the sponge on top. I'd then leave it there untill the QT tank is needed :good: The bacteria in the other filter media will then move accross and colonise the sponge. The carbon only works for a few days after going in and is of no use after a few days. It is expencive to replace and just uses space that could be used for other things if left in, so I'd leave the sponge in it's compartment almost permenantly. That compartment in the filter can be left empty whan the QT tank is in use :nod:

All the best
Rabbut

I'd remove the carbon from it's box and stick the sponge in there. I'd then move the boxes of bio-max down, and place the sponge on top. I'd then leave it there untill the QT tank is needed :good: The bacteria in the other filter media will then move accross and colonise the sponge. The carbon only works for a few days after going in and is of no use after a few days. It is expencive to replace and just uses space that could be used for other things if left in, so I'd leave the sponge in it's compartment almost permenantly. That compartment in the filter can be left empty whan the QT tank is in use :nod:

All the best
Rabbut
OK cheers :good: shall i give the sponge a good wash before i put it in the canister? Also how long before i can use sponge in QT

I wouldn't bother. The sponge should be ready in 4-6 weeks, but obviously that all depends on how things go

All the best

Most reactions

Back