Fighter fish lethargic and white fur on side

Richard1979

Reaction score
Hello, new here, but came down this morning to find our fighter fish laying on the bottom of the tank. I've removed him from the tank and he's hardly moving and has white fur towards his head a gills (also lost a lot of colour) Anything I can do or is he a goner?

Attachments

• 20230224_083806.jpg
    20230224_083806.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 29
  • 20230224_083601.jpg
    20230224_083601.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 26
Personally I would go ahead and euthanise him as he looks too far gone

What were his living conditions like...water chemistry, aquarium size, tankmates (if any) etc?

Please explain why you removed him from the tank.

If he is still alive can you post a photo of him in water?

Personally I would go ahead and euthanise him as he looks too far gone

What were his living conditions like...water chemistry, aquarium size, tankmates (if any) etc?
Hi, tank is 60 litre and has mix of platys, danios, algae eaters and 2 nitrate snails. Current water levels are all coming back good apart from chlorine being slightly high at 0.8ml/l

Please explain why you removed him from the tank.

If he is still alive can you post a photo of him in water?
I thought it would be for the best as didn't want any potential infection spread.

Hi, tank is 60 litre and has mix of platys, danios, algae eaters and 2 nitrate snails. Current water levels are all coming back good apart from chlorine being slightly high at 0.8ml/l
Chlorine/chloramine should be handled with water conditioner at each water change, there shouldn't be any chlorine at all.

You fish mix is (was) pretty wrong too...Betta should not be with any tankmates since they are aggressive, especially towards brightly coloured fish

60 liters sounds way too small for the number/type of fish as well, please clarify your numbers of each, your most recent water chemistry tests, you pH and whether you fully cycled the aquarium

The Betta appears to be rotting.....so we need your water chemistry numbers, fish numbers and cycle information before you go any further please

Btw, he was placed into a large bowl of water from the fish tank
If he was still alive when you took the photo of him laying on a hard surface, that should not have been done. If you needed to move him to another area for treatment, then do so, but don't keep a fish out of water for more than necessary. Fish ABSOLUTELY need water.
It causes a ton of stress to the fish which can make whatever it's going through 10x worse.

If he was still alive when you took the photo of him laying on a hard surface, that should not have been done. If you needed to move him to another area for treatment, then do so, but don't keep a fish out of water for more than necessary. Fish ABSOLUTELY need water.
It causes a ton of stress to the fish which can make whatever it's going through 10x worse.

He was not on a hard surface or out of water at any point, the picture was taken in a the large bowl I transferred him into (which was water from the tank). The bowl was white so appreciate it may have looked like it was a hard surface, but I'm not that stupid, of course I know fish need to be water at all times!!

Chlorine/chloramine should be handled with water conditioner at each water change, there shouldn't be any chlorine at all.

You fish mix is (was) pretty wrong too...Betta should not be with any tankmates since they are aggressive, especially towards brightly coloured fish

60 liters sounds way too small for the number/type of fish as well, please clarify your numbers of each, your most recent water chemistry tests, you pH and whether you fully cycled the aquarium

The Betta appears to be rotting.....so we need your water chemistry numbers, fish numbers and cycle information before you go any further please
We have 2 of each, so 6 fish in total now (the Betta has passed) and the 2 snails . Here's the water test I took this morning

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230224_121754_Tetra Aquatics.jpg
    Screenshot_20230224_121754_Tetra Aquatics.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 23
We have 2 of each, so 6 fish in total now (the Betta has passed) and the 2 snails . Here's the water test I took this morning
OK.....

First of all you need to use a water conditioner at every water change...without it you are getting chlorine and that will kill the fish, no ifs or buts unfortunately. Buy a decent water conditioner asap to deal with the chlorine from the tapwater.

Danio prefer long aquariums and groups (8+), ideally minimum 3ft long aquarium...they are hyper active length swimmers and can be nippy when too few of them

Platy ideally live in groups (6+)

Which type of algae eater have you got (there are lots of types and all have very specific needs)

Most reactions

Back