Fertilizer

In the average aquarium you can add some liquid aquarium plant fertiliser once a week just after you do a water change. If you have a heavily planted tank with lots of fast growing plants and lots of light and you add carbon dioxide (CO2), you might add fertiliser each day. But for most normal aquariums, once a week is fine.

In the average aquarium you can add some liquid aquarium plant fertiliser once a week just after you do a water change. If you have a heavily planted tank with lots of fast growing plants and lots of light and you add carbon dioxide (CO2), you might add fertiliser each day. But for most normal aquariums, once a week is fine.
Thank you

I agree with Colin. I add any ferts and Excel after water changes. When I had my high light CO2 added tank it was twice a week. I normally add the substrate ferts where I use them every 3 months. To make life easy these are always in March, June, September, and December for all tanks no matter when they were set up.

What I may change over the course of a year is how much.many ferts I add. Plants grow and thins usually means more ferts, Then a tank becomes a junge and I have to do a major pruning. Afterwards, I need to lower the quantity of ferts to keep it in balance with the plant load.

How often do you need to add plants fertilizer on your aquarium ?
Hello. I have a two-part question. What type of plants do you keep and how did you know those particular plants needed more fertilizer than the fish provide? I keep low light plants, but may like something a bit more demanding.

One knows their plants need something by how they look. Just like one can usually tell when a fish has issues because it shows symptoms we can see or it's behavior changes from what is normal. we can tell when out plants are not thriving. That usually means they are missing something in the realm of fertilizers.

There is another active thread here which deals with this: https://www.fishforums.net/threads/...fertilizer-and-your-fish.493660/#post-4332804

Hello again. Interesting. Thought nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium fed to the fish would provide the aquatic plants with the basics for growth. Not sure I'm ready to put other nutrients in the water in the form of fertilizers. But, I'm going to do a little research into this. I might just learn a couple of things!

I agree with Colin. I add any ferts and Excel after water changes. When I had my high light CO2 added tank it was twice a week. I normally add the substrate ferts where I use them every 3 months. To make life easy these are always in March, June, September, and December for all tanks no matter when they were set up.

What I may change over the course of a year is how much.many ferts I add. Plants grow and thins usually means more ferts, Then a tank becomes a junge and I have to do a major pruning. Afterwards, I need to lower the quantity of ferts to keep it in balance with the plant load.
Thank you for your advice my friend

Most reactions

Back