female

princeegrl

Reaction score
i recently purchased 2 female bettas and put them in the same tank and the started to fight i thought they were female bettas because they were short tailed what happened?

They probably are females. Females DO fight. Don't let any store employee tell you otherwise. It is possible to keep females together provided the tank is big enough and there are adequate hiding places. Also, keep your females in groups of four or more. Any less and two or so females could gang up on one weaker female. GOOD LUCK! :D

Hiya, another way to make sure that they are females, is to check under their too lil feelers, and see if you can see their white optivo spot (i cant remember how to spell it) its white, and abt the size of a pin head.

i would recocomend that if they continue to fight, you take one of them back, and try again with a different female.

Keep us updated!

it also depends on what size tank you have them in. For example I have two female bettas in a 10 gallon (along with 3 rasboras and an algae eater). They fought for the first few days than got along fine. I guess I got lucky with two good-tempered ones. :thumbs:

Never have less then four females in a tank at any time, personally I like five or more. My female tank has seven and it works well.

Make sure your tank has obsene amounts of hiding places, in a female tank, aestetics can't be a huge priority. You want to have a stronger filter flow then a normal betta tank in order to prevent them from squaring off. Hiding places will help them escape the filter as well as each other. The less open water the better.

Whenever you have a female tank you need to have a back-up plan for your girls as it can go sour at any given moment.

It's best if you can buy females who have been in a tank together already or who are spawn sisters straight from a growout. Remember that females can be just as aggressive as males and that while a community tank may seem appealing, but if it's not set-up properly it is not always the best for the fish ;)

Most reactions

Back