Female From Petco...

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ZooKeeper

Reaction score
Ok, these are taken with my camera phone, but they sort of do the job. What kind of tail is this. I am thinking mixed between VT and Spade, but she sure looks more Spade to me. I have had her a week or so, and her body lines have darkened really well. Pretty little fish.

FemaleBetta.jpg

FemaleBetta2.jpg

Judging by the huuuge fins (in comparison to females), and I can't see any ray branching, so VT male it be.

Judging by the huuuge fins (in comparison to females), and I can't see any ray branching, so VT male it be.

Well, "IT" has dark lines running the length of the body. Is that normal in Males? I have 12 others that I know are males, but I haven't seen the lines. I got "it" thinking that the fins were a little long for a female, but I can't get "it" to flare.

Are there any pics showing a definite oviposter? I think I know what to look for, but I am not sure.

I try to take some pics tonight to see if I can get the stripes that have come up.

Prettty sure it's a VT female, petco gets their females with some huge tails like that, also petsmart had some like that even longer. :) I'd say just a regular ol' veil girly :)

Well, "IT" has dark lines running the length of the body. Is that normal in Males? I have 12 others that I know are males, but I haven't seen the lines. I got "it" thinking that the fins were a little long for a female, but I can't get "it" to flare.

Are there any pics showing a definite oviposter? I think I know what to look for, but I am not sure.

I try to take some pics tonight to see if I can get the stripes that have come up.

Take a look at this thread http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=127932
Males can get stripes, as seen on the example there ^, plus not all flare much, and males can have false oviposters. Very rarely do you get females with finnage like that, it's much much more common to have males labelled as female.

Definitely looks like a young male to me, just look at that anal fin! :crazy:

Here's a pic of an obvious ovipositor :)
DSCN0702.jpg

:hyper: :hyper: tee hee I agree! love everybody is my motto! particularly if it has 4 legs and a wet nose or looks like my beautiful bettas!

Ok, so I looked at "it" last night. There is a definitely HUGE (by fish standards) white thing coming down between the ventrals and the anal fin. Do young males have this? I suppose I will keep this one separated until I know what exactly he/she is. Don't want to add any females if in fact it is a male.

Some males do have one, it's just one of those things. I wouldn't risk adding any other fish, even if it is female it still might not take kindly to tankmates.

Most reactions

Back