Feeding Silver Arowana

adamgreen240

Fish Herder
Reaction score
hi every1!

i have a 7 inch silver aro (in sig) and was just wondering ehat to feed him. i have done some research but he hasnt eaten anything since i put him in the tank. i bought some tetra doramin floating foods but he has just ignored them . any suggestions?? Thanks

Adam

never kept one, but i noticed that people on here feed them prawns and mealworms.

hi every1!

i have a 7 inch silver aro (in sig) and was just wondering ehat to feed him. i have done some research but he hasnt eaten anything since i put him in the tank. i bought some tetra doramin floating foods but he has just ignored them . any suggestions?? Thanks

Adam

crickets, maggots, sandeels, prawns, krill, generally meaty foods etc...try everything.

Dont worry about it not eating for a few days, it will take a week or so to adjust to the tank and feel comfortable enough to eat.

To begin with keep the foods small, small arowana dont like anything they have to chew at first so make sure no bits of food are bigger than the arowana's eye and drop in bits of food one at a time as they dont like picking food up off the bottom.

If you have a fussy specimin then it can take a while to get them onto frozen foods and it may never eat pellets, if it hasnt eaten within a week then feed it small crickets or small locusts to get it feeding and then reintroduce the frozen foods once it is eating confidently. I feed my silver mainly on sainsburies basics prawns and basics white fish fillets with the occasional feedings of mussels and earthworms.

thanks very much for all the replies , i will see how he goes and keep you all informed. Thanks Again, Adam

offer small mealworms once a day and it will come round in a week or 2
put them gently on the water surface so they float :good:

I have an 11 in. silver. I got him at a little smaller than yours. I started him on shimp, now hes onto krill. He likes the krill much more. occasionally i throw mealworms in too, but he mosly favors the krill.

I have an 11 in. silver. I got him at a little smaller than yours. I started him on shimp, now hes onto krill. He likes the krill much more. occasionally i throw mealworms in too, but he mosly favors the krill.

can i ask what size tank your silver is in plz?? Cheers

ok , my aro is now eating prawns daily, i have offered some foating pellets, but he just ignores them . it easts about 3 prawns a day, is this ok ?? will it be ok eating just prawns? Thanks for any help

Adam

Tried him on muccles, mealworms, earthworms etc?
Its not good for it to be eating 1 type of food, its like us eating steak and chips every day I should think.My senegal loves these pellets, and no others, high in protein.Maybe try and get your hands on something like this for your aro?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/51-PROTIEN-GROWER-20...1QQcmdZViewItem

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
cheers m8

do u think it will b ok if i starve it until it eats the pellets (high protein ones like the 1s in ur link) and make its died up mainly of this and then say twice a week give it prawns??

Cheers

That diet will work for now but when it gets to over 18" you will find yourself going through a lot of expensive pellets trying to fill up a fish that size, my one takes whole frozen pollack fillets or whole fresh sardines twice a week and prawns and mussels another 3 days during the week. I'd stick to feeding prawns and mussels as there is very little point starting a fish that gets to this size on pellets only to have to stop giving them again in the future.

Most reactions

Back