Feeding Question

Gilli

Gilli
Reaction score
Im always trolling the net reading up on fishkeeping and have come across several web pages that say you should only feed fresh/fozen foods once or twice a week or it will cause problems - is this right?

Ive always fed my fish fresh/frozen every other day (along with the occasional algae wafers and veg). Am I wrong and doing more harm than good?

what you have to consider is the nutritional content of the food, some of the meaty stuff that is sold fresh or frozen has very little nutritional content and is therefore not good all round day to day nutrition.

when you get a good quality flake or other processed food it is designed with fish nutrition in mind and therefore forms a good staple food. now to be abundently clear this does just apply to the high quality stuff, you get cheapy flake food that contains ash and not a whole lot else, of course this is not good, but any of the good brands foods will be good.

so i tend to use a variety of processed foods as the staple and supplement it with occasional meaty treats like live and frozen food. obviously tailoring the diet to specific fish where appropriate such as lots of fresh veg for the plecs etc etc.

My understanding is that fresh/frozen meaty foods do not contain all of the necessary vitamins to maintain fish in optimal health if used as a staple diet which is why they are recommended as supplementary feeding or treats only. Good quality prepared foods are formulated to provide all of your fishes nutritional needs.

oops..miss wiggle beat me to it ;)

Thank you for allyour replies! Looks like I was under the wrong impression! I thought that by feeding them frozen different worms, daphnea and shrimp brine every other day that this was a more natural thing as they would be feeding on this type of thing in the wild!

I feed Tetramin flakes which issupposed to be high quality - any ieas for a varied feed on flake as it seems to be to be a bit boring to have this day in and day out.......

i personally like the hikari foods and i use a range of their products. Also have a couple of different types of flake food including a vegetarian option, tetra prima always goes down well, sinking algae wafers and sinking meaty wafers, catfish/shrimp pellets.

Just go to the lfs and pick up a different sort of food each week for the next couple of months and you'll amount a nice selection of things to circulate. :good:

I feed Nutrafin flakes, some random catfish pellets I picked up a whileago and bloodworms every other weekend for the majority of my fish

then cucumber, broccolli, carrots or whatever else I can find that looks green for my plec and RTBS :D

Most reactions

Back