Feeding Pond Fish

my fat fish

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Is it ok that I have been feeding my goldfish over winter? I know that you are not supposed to feed them below a certain tempurature but it has been quite mild this year and my fish have been surfacing at feeding time and will eat the food. Is this ok or should they have a rest anyway over the winter?

its been a warm winter so far, wouldnt worry about it! as long as you aint been givin um too much also depends on what food youve been givin um. Their metabolism will have slowed down but because its been warm theyd still have been up for a nibble im sure.

I have also been continuing to feed my goldfish in the pond.

Usaully I stop feeding them when the cold weather sets in around December. The fish usually disappear to the bottom of the pond until Feb - March. With it being so mild they are still hanging around the surface so I have been giving them a bit of food every 2 - 3 days.

James1971

that what i have been doing feedin them every 2-3 day, i have agree it have been a warm weather this month but i fear there gonna be cold snap in late february and early march..........

I have also been continuing to feed my goldfish in the pond.

Usaully I stop feeding them when the cold weather sets in around December. The fish usually disappear to the bottom of the pond until Feb - March. With it being so mild they are still hanging around the surface so I have been giving them a bit of food every 2 - 3 days.

James1971

If they come up then offer a couple of wheatgerm floating pellets and do this late morning so the food can digest before the weather gets cold in the evening.

I am an awful mum I never feed mine....havent had to have the heater on yet either...

Is your pond made out of a mold or a liner with rocks on top? Depending on where you live and if you have a liner with rocks you might not have to feed your fish at all. I live up in NJ and don't feed my a fish anything. Not one pellet, flake, or commercial food has ever entered my pond. My fish survive on the algae in the pond. By theway, I have comet and Shubunken

Most reactions

Back