Feeding My Boy Pheonix

omega59

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Hi. I need some advice. I got my Betta a month ago and was feeding him dry blood worms. I understand that these is not good because it has a high fat content and should only be as a treat when it comes to Bettas. So this evening I purchased some food by Tetra called BettaMin (small yellow container). My Betta doesn't seem to eat it at all. He takes it in and spits it out. So I tried some mashed down pease and he eats tgis all up. Any idea how to get him to eat the flakes?

Flakes typically aren't the best food choice for bettas as for some reason they seem to find them undesirable, typically mine will only except live foods and Betta pellets. May I recommend attison's Betta pro, or new life spectrum pellets

the only pellet food I can find are the ones where the package is in the shape of a fish. I didn't think it was a good product for some reason. What “ind of live food are you speaking of?

i suggest frozen blood worms, that is what i feed my bettas and they are in good health. link to food:

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11268251&lmdn=Brand

Okay thank you i will look for this :)

Ideally you shouldn't feed all live foods as it leaves a long term negative affect on bettas. And is the one in a shape of a fish called hikari Betta bio gold? If so then this is another great food. My bettas seem to really enjoy it Nd love eating it so I would highly recommend this great product

Ideally you shouldn't feed all live foods as it leaves a long term negative affect on bettas. And is the one in a shape of a fish called hikari Betta bio gold? If so then this is another great food. My bettas seem to really enjoy it Nd love eating it so I would highly recommend this great product

I agree. I've used the Betta Bio Gold in the fish-shaped package and my bettas went for it right away, even my picky boy :rolleyes:

I think that is what i saw at the shop today LOL. Do you think that since i only fed him dry brine shrimp it may of made him sick? He tends to float at the side or below but when i got near he perks up just fine tho. is that normal behavior? :p

I don't know that it made him sick, but it's possible he was just testing it out. Like I mentioned before, I have a picky boy and if something is not to his particular taste, he'll spit it out in a heartbeat :rolleyes:

Dry foods tend to cause swim bladder issues, this could be what you a encountering right now. This is one f the main reasons I tend to advise against them and never use them myself, pellets, a a much better option as a staple diet while live foods, as well as frozen foods can be used to feed every week or so. Giving your Betta fish a variety in there diet will definitely perk up there mood

to my surprise this morning i tried with the flakes again... he ate them up! wow what a change from yesterday. Maybe he wasn't used to the texture?
he's create a big bubble nest in the comer of the tank and he sits under it (perhaps waiting for his love lol)
So you are saying that "dry" food's are not great for a Betta... Does this mean the flakes are no good?

OK, a surprise for betta enthusiasts. My bettas never get any special foods at all. They eat whatever they can get while competing with the livebearers that are my main focus. They eat well on the foods that I feed my livebearers and live to a ripe old age of at least 4 years in my tanks. Quite often they live longer than that. I do not dispute that better diets can be had but my guys not only survive but definitely thrive. They get the same treats that I give my livebearers. Occasional feedings of things like frozen daphnia and frozen brine shrimp are on the list, but not very often.

Most reactions

Back