Feeding Golden Rudd In Winter

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

fishnovice

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Do rudd kept in outdoor tank need special or different food in winter? Mine currently eat floating pellets. Should I give them anything else -heard others on this forum are feeding koi cucumber, bread, even satsumas.

Is the water going to freeze? When the water temp gets below 40, fish only eat once a week. If the water freezes over, you won't have to feed.

Is the water going to freeze? When the water temp gets below 40, fish only eat once a week. If the water freezes over, you won't have to feed.
Unlikely to freeze in central London unless we have an exceptionally cold winter. Do you mean the fish should not be fed for weeks if it's cold -won't they starve? They are in a tank not a pond so if I don't feed them they will have nothing else to eat except maybe some algae on tank side.
One last question -should I vary their diet with fruit and veg in summer?
Thanks for your advice

Unlikely to freeze in central London unless we have an exceptionally cold winter. Do you mean the fish should not be fed for weeks if it's cold -won't they starve? They are in a tank not a pond so if I don't feed them they will have nothing else to eat except maybe some algae on tank side.
Thanks for your advice

In a pond, Once the outdoor temp goes below 8C then you usually don't need to feed the fish at all, as they will go into a hibernation-like state, and will not be able to digest your average pellet foods,

Wheatgerm however can be fed sparingly.

However as you say you are keeping the fish outside in a tank, I am a bit worried whether they will actually survive??

In shallow ponds, fish will not always survive the winter and instore where i work the outdoor fish vats are closed up over the winter as a lot of fish don't survive.

so in a tank that is all above ground I would say you may need to add an outdoor heater or move them to a indoor area.
In these instances feeding wheatgerm on a regular basis will be required

If it gets particularly cold the glass may even crack

Thanks for your advice

In a pond, Once the outdoor temp goes below 8C then you usually don't need to feed the fish at all, as they will go into a hibernation-like state, and will not be able to digest your average pellet foods,

Wheatgerm however can be fed sparingly.

However as you say you are keeping the fish outside in a tank, I am a bit worried whether they will actually survive??

In shallow ponds, fish will not always survive the winter and instore where i work the outdoor fish vats are closed up over the winter as a lot of fish don't survive.

so in a tank that is all above ground I would say you may need to add an outdoor heater or move them to a indoor area.
In these instances feeding wheatgerm on a regular basis will be required

If it gets particularly cold the glass may even crack

Now I'm getting worried.Their original owner kept them in a pond, no idea what size. No room to move large tank indoors in winter. Live in central London, some years it doesn't even snow so tank is unlikely to freeze and crack. Could insulate tank with bubblewrap, worksf or my tropical outdoor plants.When (temp/month)should I change to wheatgerm and is this the whaetgerm humans eat? Where do you get it from?

Wheatgerm pellets can be brought form any LFS that sell pond fish food, swap to this food when the temp is temperature gets to around 5-8C or below

Wheatgerm pellets can be brought form any LFS that sell pond fish food, swap to this food when the temp is temperature gets to around 5-8C or below

Me and my rudd would like to thank everyone for their advice. Will insulate tank and get wheatgerm for winter food. One last question -should i feed the rudd fruit and veg like koi?

Me and my rudd would like to thank everyone for their advice. Will insulate tank and get wheatgerm for winter food. One last question -should i feed the rudd fruit and veg like koi?

If he will eat it.

Most reactions

Back