Feeding Earthworms......

mattlee

get on a board and do yo thang...!
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
i want to try and feed my cichlids earthworms if i can find any this time of year. i think i can recall reading somewhere that after getting the worms if they are kept in a bucket of sand it clears them out and cleans the skin of the worm making them a more purer worm to feed.

am i recalling correctly or have i just made this up in my head? :unsure:

couldnt tell you if thats true or not mate , all i used to do fore my sevs is dig em up , give em a wash and feed

couldnt tell you if thats true or not mate , all i used to do fore my sevs is dig em up , give em a wash and feed
yeah i thought that was what most would do but for some reason i had it in my head to put them in sand from somewhere..... :unsure: there is a good chance that i made this up, im not 100% on this :lol:

:lol: so long as you dig em up from a part of the garden you know that no chemical/pesticides are used , then give em a good wash they will be fine mate . and your fish will love em .

:lol: so long as you dig em up from a part of the garden you know that no chemical/pesticides are used , then give em a good wash they will be fine mate . and your fish will love em .
ill get diggin then....

also can anyone please confirm if i made this sand thing up or not just for peace of mind :crazy:

I always just ran the worm between my thumb and forefinger squeezing lightly to clean most of the stuff out before I fed them to my fish. As long as they come from clean soil, just rinse em and squeeze them out and you will be fine.

Anglers store worms in damp spaghnum moss for a couple of days, it`s meant to clean off any slime and purge the gut

If you store worms in sea sand the salt will kill them

mattlee if you find
a reptile shop the normally
do earth worms that are safe
to feed that's were i used to
get mine from i used to use
a shop called coast to coast
up here in the north east but
there must be other reptile
dealers out there. you will be
surprised at what food you can get
in there that fish will go for
i also used to feed meal worms
and wax worms also crickets and stuff
like that

you could help your fish, and your rubbish weight, by starting a compost bin/heap. the worns, from this, will be free of all chenicals. and if my experience is anything to go by, you'll have more than enough worms to feed most of the forum.

Most reactions

Back