Feeding earthworms to fish.

Slime is, among other things, a natural defense that makes the worms not taste as good, but predatory fish don't seem to care much. Cutting up the worms does allow their fluids to leak into the water, so I prefer to feed them whole. Of course, you want to make sure they're from soil that is free of pesticides, fertilizers, and all that. Finally, there is the danger that the worm won't be eaten and will burrow into the sand, die, and decay. This isn't a huge danger, at least in my tanks, because the worms seldom make it to the bottom before something eats them, and even if they do, the amount of decaying matter they add to the water is negligible and will probably just fertilize a nearby plant.

As long as you stick to fairly small worms, feed sparingly, and make sure they're from clean soil? No problem. :)

In addition to what has been said, there are some significant cautions here. Not all fish should be fed earthworms, they are high in fat and protein (going from memory), this is not good at all for cories for example. Most small fish cannot handle such large worms. If you have a compost and can harvest very small worms, this is OK for some fish, but again almost all small fish no. I don't know what fish you have, but you only other thread involves a 10g tank with maybe a betta, or maybe nano fish. None of these can handle earthworms except the betta if the worm is very small.

You also need to clean out the worms before feeding, so whatever is in their digestive system is passed out before feeding.

Most small fish cannot handle such large worms. If you have a compost and can harvest very small worms, this is OK for some fish, but again almost all small fish no. I don't know what fish you have, but you only other thread involves a 10g tank with maybe a betta, or maybe nano fish.
My choprae danios will tear an earthworm to pieces and eat it, but you're right for most small fish. Never underestimate the power of danio hyperactivity! :lol: But then, these do not belong in a 10 gallon tank. Most true nano fish probably couldn't handle even a small earthworm.

I just meant in general, as I also have a clownfish that is of decent size. This is mainly for my freshwater tanks though. Just thought of it so might as well.

Can I feed earthworms to fish? If not, why?
Hello Unity. There are many foods available that are much more nutritious for your fish than worms. So, why would you want to feed anything but what's designed for them to eat? Just feed a variety of flakes, pellets and some frozen foods. Feed a little and your fish will be healthier without the worms.

10 Tanks (Now 11)

Hello Unity. There are many foods available that are much more nutritious for your fish than worms. So, why would you want to feed anything but what's designed for them to eat? Just feed a variety of flakes, pellets and some frozen foods. Feed a little and your fish will be healthier without the worms.

10 Tanks (Now 11)
I feed flakea mainly, freeze dried bloodworms sometimes. I wanted to give them some live food.

I feed flakea mainly, freeze dried bloodworms sometimes. I wanted to give them some live food.
Hello again. Actually, frozen is more nutritious than live. Sally's San Fran is an excellent brand. The freezing and packaging process seals in all the nutrients. This way, you don't need be be concerned about feeding a live food that may not be as nutritious. But, you're the tank keeper, feed whatever you like.

10 Tanks (Now 11)

My opinion on live/frozen/prepared foods, based upon the advice from breeders and biologists online.

The most nutritious food is prepared/dry flake/pellet/tab/. Quality food, no meals, as little cereal binders as possible. The nutritional value of these cannot be matched by live or frozen foods with one exception (below).

The one exception is a variety of live foods that provide what the species requires. Not all fish eat the same food. But providing a nutritionally balanced range of live foods is beyond most of us. A treat...wingless fruit flies for hatchetfish, brine shrimp for lower fish...fine, but not as a staple. It is impossible to match the nutritional value of good prepared foods. You can read this from many articles, it is not my thinking.

Frozen also carries very little nutrition. look at the ingredients and numbers.

@UnityLover some good prepared foods will be far superior to earthworms. Healthier, and more nutrition. Bloodworms...never more than once a week, but fresh frozen is better than the freeze-dried or dry forms here. And freeze-dried carries additional risks...it must be completely saturated with water before being placed in the tank, to avoid it swelling up with water after the poor fish eats it. Flake does not do this, just the "freeze-dried" foods. They are also not as nutritional a quality dry foods anyway, back to that.

Last edited:
Hello Capt'n. That's okay, go with what you know.

10 Tank (Now 11)
I won't knock frozen food, it has its benefits but you definitely miss out on a lot of fibre with frozen...perhaps fish don't need much fibre but I know they prefer a wriggly and juicy mozzie larvae to a gelatinous and soggy one!

Most reactions

Back