Feeding Courgette

arobinson1984

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Hi,

I normally feed my fish cucumber once a week but yesterday was advised on the forum to try courgette instead as it has more nutritional values, especially for my new BN plec.

What I want to know is what I have to do to the courgette before putting it in the tank. I'm aware that it normally has to be cooked for humans to eat (i think, i dont eat it myself) but does it have to be for fish or can i just put a raw piece on my screwcumber like i normally do with the cucumber?

Thanks in advance

Andy

Hi,

I normally feed my fish cucumber once a week but yesterday was advised on the forum to try courgette instead as it has more nutritional values, especially for my new BN plec.

What I want to know is what I have to do to the courgette before putting it in the tank. I'm aware that it normally has to be cooked for humans to eat (i think, i dont eat it myself) but does it have to be for fish or can i just put a raw piece on my screwcumber like i normally do with the cucumber?

Thanks in advance

Andy

I THINK you have to blanch it.

Mike

Thanks can anyone confirm this?

I know some people prefer to do the same with cucumber but ive always put it in cold and the fish devour it lol, wasnt sure if I could do that with courgette or not

Andy

Thanks can anyone confirm this?

I know some people prefer to do the same with cucumber but ive always put it in cold and the fish devour it lol, wasnt sure if I could do that with courgette or not

Andy

You dont have to do anythink other than give it a good wash, some blanch or microwave it for a couple of seconds just to soften it up, but once it's in the water it will soften up pretty quick anyways.

It's totally upto you, ive never cooked or blanched any of my veg or fruit for my plecs and they have all manage to eat and survive with no fatalities ;)

I just wash it, slice it in half like you do with a chunk of cucumber and stick it in the tank.

I just scrub and slice - no need to blanche unless you want to. If they are reluctant to try it you can rub garlic on it as an appetiser.

Same here, never blanch it, just cut it up and plop it in with a weight :good: They love it, my bn is currently sucking away on a piece that I put in last night.

i've bred bristlenose for some time now so needledd to say i get through a lot of greens, i never pre cook, blanch of wash my greens. If i have time i will remove the seeds because they have a nasty habit of getting stuck in the filters, to sink it i use plant weights - just pierce it through the greens, but be sure to fold over the edges as they can sometimes cut the fish.

....I say 'never'.....I do actually pre-cook peas, just put them in boiling water for a minute or two, de-shell and serve B-)

for cucumber and courgette, i just cut a chunk off, deseed it as they can get stuck in their throats and plonk it in.

with lettuce you Blanche it; or they cannot digest it :)

Most reactions

Back