Feeding Community Tank

The reason waterdrop mentioned 6 months regarding the cardinal tetras is because they along with neons do not do well in new tanks, they need mature tanks to thrive otherwise they tend to drop like flies. Do not confuse a cycled tank to a mature tank, they are different. After about 6 months you can consider your tank matured enough to add these fish.

Going back to the veg, most fish will eat almost any veg, you will get certain fish that like specific veg more than others.

You can feed:

Cucumber - Either cut it into thin slices and float it on the surface, the fish will eat the middle so you'll have to remove the outer skin when they've finished. Or you can cut about a 2" section of cucumber, slice it in half through the middle exposing the centre and weigh one piece down in the tank, again they will eat the centre and leave the skin. They may not seem interested at first, sometimes it will take a few hours for the cucumber to soften before they take an interest.

Courgette - Again cut a 2" section, slice down the middle to expose the centre and put in microwave for 10-20 secs to soften it a little. Courgette has alot more beneficial nutrients than cucumber.

Peas - Boil them to soften, then de-shell them. Only feed the middle part and throw the outer shell away. You can mash the inner parts together to make it into a 'paste' and smear it on a rock or side of the tank

Potato - Boil to ensure they are soft then let them cool before putting into tank.

Melon/Watermelon - Cut a small section and put straight into tank

These are just a few. I use a little device called a 'screwcumber' which can be bought on ebay for a few quid and it helps weigh the veg down. You can easily use it for all the mentioned veg apart from peas. Alternatively you can use a metal spoon or something and dig it into the gravel/sand.

Andy

The reason waterdrop mentioned 6 months regarding the cardinal tetras is because they along with neons do not do well in new tanks, they need mature tanks to thrive otherwise they tend to drop like flies. Do not confuse a cycled tank to a mature tank, they are different. After about 6 months you can consider your tank matured enough to add these fish.

Going back to the veg, most fish will eat almost any veg, you will get certain fish that like specific veg more than others.

You can feed:

Cucumber - Either cut it into thin slices and float it on the surface, the fish will eat the middle so you'll have to remove the outer skin when they've finished. Or you can cut about a 2" section of cucumber, slice it in half through the middle exposing the centre and weigh one piece down in the tank, again they will eat the centre and leave the skin. They may not seem interested at first, sometimes it will take a few hours for the cucumber to soften before they take an interest.

Courgette - Again cut a 2" section, slice down the middle to expose the centre and put in microwave for 10-20 secs to soften it a little. Courgette has alot more beneficial nutrients than cucumber.

Peas - Boil them to soften, then de-shell them. Only feed the middle part and throw the outer shell away. You can mash the inner parts together to make it into a 'paste' and smear it on a rock or side of the tank

Potato - Boil to ensure they are soft then let them cool before putting into tank.

Melon/Watermelon - Cut a small section and put straight into tank

These are just a few. I use a little device called a 'screwcumber' which can be bought on ebay for a few quid and it helps weigh the veg down. You can easily use it for all the mentioned veg apart from peas. Alternatively you can use a metal spoon or something and dig it into the gravel/sand.

Andy

Thanks guys, I will have to look into doing this.

Wish I'd known this about Cardinals before.... added some wednesday and all gone today. Are they not particularly hardy fish then? I've just posted in the emergency section

Emergency- Lost Some Cardinals

Thanks

They are very sensitive to fluctuating conditions which tend to be present in newly cycled tanks.

Over a period of around 6 months, bacteria grows all around the tank, not significant amounts but you will get tiny amounts in the substrate, glass etc. This helps to maintain a good balance in the tank and the conditions settle down and become established.

That probably wasnt explained very well lol, its hard to put into words what I mean.

Andy

They are very sensitive to fluctuating conditions which tend to be present in newly cycled tanks.

Over a period of around 6 months, bacteria grows all around the tank, not significant amounts but you will get tiny amounts in the substrate, glass etc. This helps to maintain a good balance in the tank and the conditions settle down and become established.

That probably wasnt explained very well lol, its hard to put into words what I mean.

Andy

Hi, that was very helpful thanks.

I hope this may mean my tank is not as bad as I had thought!

Most reactions

Back