Feeding Cherry Shrimp?

AdAndrews

Marine Enthusiast!
Reaction score
What do you guys feed cherrys to get the best colour out of them- i will be feeding the fish colour crisps anyways so they should get a little of this aswell as some of the algae growing in the tank.. can you suggest a good food?

thanks

Hope you dont mind if i highjack your thread but i have a related question.
I got some cherry reds a couple of days ago, and also picked up some hikari algae wafers and crab cuisine. However, ive tried adding a pellet of cuisine, or half a wafer or so, and the shrimp seem completely nonplussed and dont swarm it. Should i leave it in? or try something else? I know it takes a few feedings for them to get used to eating different foods, but even when ive had fish in the past theyll at least swim upto it in intrest. Thanks.

I got some cherry reds a couple of days ago, and also picked up some hikari algae wafers and crab cuisine. However, ive tried adding a pellet of cuisine, or half a wafer or so, and the shrimp seem completely nonplussed and dont swarm it. Should i leave it in? or try something else? I know it takes a few feedings for them to get used to eating different foods, but even when ive had fish in the past theyll at least swim upto it in intrest. Thanks.

dont "leave it in" it will break down and start to rot causing ammonia and nitrite

dont "leave it in" it will break down and start to rot causing ammonia and nitrite
You are right about this part brother :shifty:

What do you guys feed cherrys to get the best colour out of them- i will be feeding the fish colour crisps anyways so they should get a little of this aswell as some of the algae growing in the tank.. can you suggest a good food?

thanks

I actually don't feed mine anything in my planted, I assume there is enough in their to keep 'em going. I have noticed they get deeper in colour as they get older. A few of my first generation shrimps are a really deep red now, quite some time after maturing. I even have one that shows a gloss finish too - really pretty but only spot it once a month or so :rolleyes:
Mine also have a cool racing line running over the back too which I know isn't desirable but I quite like it!

I give mine:
Algae wafers
Algae pellets
Catfish pellets
Hikari crab cuisine
Another type of catfish pellets
Insects I find around the house cut in half
Lots of vege
Frozen blood worm
Live bloodworm
Live Mosquito larvae
Any fish flakes that sink.

Wow seems like a lot but really its just 5 tubs under the tank + 2 more for fish and I just grab a random 2 each time for feeding so that they get a varied diet brings out their colour really well.

I give mine:
Algae wafers
Algae pellets
Catfish pellets
Hikari crab cuisine
Another type of catfish pellets
Insects I find around the house cut in half
Lots of vege
Frozen blood worm
Live bloodworm
Live Mosquito larvae
Any fish flakes that sink.

Wow seems like a lot but really its just 5 tubs under the tank + 2 more for fish and I just grab a random 2 each time for feeding so that they get a varied diet brings out their colour really well.

ok, thanks, i have brought crab cuisine so they will get:

tetra colour crisp leftovers
hikari crab cusine
algae
sinking catfish pellets
cucumber
frozen pea

I agree with the above - the more varied the diet, the better. One other thing, the shrimp wafers are tiny, but the larger shrimp will take charge of a whole pellet and fight off all comers to keep possession of it. Baby shrimp are minute, and often loose out to bigger shrimps at feeding time, so get a pestle and mortar to crush up some of the food into a fine powder. That way, everyone gets their share.

Most reactions

Back