Featherfin Can't Swim Properly

Avinitlarge

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Ive done ok for a while (Welcome back; your last visit was: Dec 22 2007, 12:10 PM)

Anyway, One of my featherfin catfish can't swim properly. I seems to have lost the use of its pectoral fins. In layman's terms, It can't steer its self. This is one fish I can't see die. I love my feather fins, Ive had them for about 4 years :sad:

Ive tested the water, It reads the same as it always has

PH 6.4
KH 3
GH 20
No2 0
N03 250

I know the Nitrate is high but its been like that ever since I can remember

How often do you do water changes and how much?? your stats seem rediculously high unless I'm reading them wrong. I'm surprised you have any fish living at all

What is your nitrate reading of your tap water??

Andy

What's your ammonia reading? How big is the tank and what else is in it? Any signs of finrot, white receding lines on the fins, blood streaking in the fins or spotting on the body or between the scales, dropsy or other signs of bacterial infection?

Sorry, Nitrate is 50, Not 250. Its down to the tap water!

Ive even taken a water sample to the LFS, He said the water is perfect apart from the Nitrate. Amonia and Nitrite are 0.

The tank is a 350L with another Featherfin, 3 silver dollars, 1 spotted and 1 striped raphael catfish and 3 sevrums

The Fish did look perfectly healthy, It has some injuries now from it running into everything possible.

Its has stopped swimming now, Just gasping on the top of some bog wood.

That makes more sense with the nitrate lol

Is your tank planted? this is a good way to lower your nitrate levels.

I'm not the best person to ask about fish illness, you'd be best asking a member called wilder, she's great send her a pm or hope she gives you her opinion on this thread.

Andy

Ive now got another hospital tank 12" X 8" X 8"

Ive caught the Poorly featherfin, It did put up a fight though, Seems to have plenty of life left in it. It has gotten to the point where it just lies on the bottom and moves once or twice a day. Could this be a swim bladder problem??

Dos he look bloated.
Any signs of flicking and rubbing.
Any excess mucas on the gills or body of the fish.
What does it look like when he goes to the toilet.
It sounds bacterial. Can you issolate him and try a bacterial med.

Dos he look bloated. Nope
Any signs of flicking and rubbing. Its not moved for a day or so
Any excess mucas on the gills or body of the fish. Nope
What does it look like when he goes to the toilet.From what Ive seen it looks normal
It sounds bacterial. Can you issolate him and try a bacterial med. He is issolated, What meds would you recommend???

Anti internal bacteria med by interpet.

Most reactions

Back