Faulty Heater?

Just_Another_One

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I bought a new Elite heater a few weeks ago which I think may be faulty or malfunctioning...

In summer my tanks are always in the early to mid 30's even if I unplug the heaters. Right now the tank is at 29C but the heater is set for 24C.

I've just witnessed the heater light on and heat comming off it in the water even though the water is way above the set temperature. I also have two betta tanks in the same room which I unplugged the heaters on and they are both at 24C.

Is that normal for it to be doing this?? Maybe its just clicking on for a minute or so to make sure its still working?

Try lowering it a bit, some heaters actually make the water a few degrees warmer than theyre set to... No idea why.

I bought a new Elite heater a few weeks ago which I think may be faulty or malfunctioning...

In summer my tanks are always in the early to mid 30's even if I unplug the heaters. Right now the tank is at 29C but the heater is set for 24C.

I've just witnessed the heater light on and heat comming off it in the water even though the water is way above the set temperature. I also have two betta tanks in the same room which I unplugged the heaters on and they are both at 24C.

Is that normal for it to be doing this?? Maybe its just clicking on for a minute or so to make sure its still working?

sadly, its quite normal. the marks on the heater do not correlate to "real life" temperatures. you need to "calibrate" your heater settings to the thermometer you use in the tank. set it to the temp you need. watch what temp the water, actually, gets to, then reduce or increase the setting on the heater. till it gets to where you need it. pain in the butt, but its how many of us do it.

sadly, its quite normal. the marks on the heater do not correlate to "real life" temperatures. you need to "calibrate" your heater settings to the thermometer you use in the tank. set it to the temp you need. watch what temp the water, actually, gets to, then reduce or increase the setting on the heater. till it gets to where you need it. pain in the butt, but its how many of us do it.

unless you go with the rena smart heater, it does what it says in the tin, so to speak.

unless you go with the rena smart heater, it does what it says in the tin, so to speak.

its no better or worse than any other heater. and will still need checking, against you tank thermometer. it does not offer a "calibrated" temperature reading, mealy a guide, just like the rest. i'll bet if it pops, and you replace it. the new one will give a different temp at the same setting. however small the difference is.

its no better or worse than any other heater.

Thats personal preference isn't it boboboy, have you tried every other heater - NO! I use these in all my tanks and they all heat the water to the temp on the dial.

Most reactions

Back