FAT MOLLY SHOWING SIGNS OF SEVERE AGGRESSION

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

carligraceee

Fishaholic
Reaction score
hey guys. i feel like this is happening constantly lol. i always have something going on. but anyways- my male milky is showing some signs of aggression and bloating. i look closely at him and can see he’s definitely gotten fatter. i’m am not going to feed tomorrow- they all could use the break since they are constantly eating. but he has never been fat. i noticed him chasing one of my female mollies ever since he got fatter. i’m going to attach some photos. please help, i love my little watson and don’t want him to be sick.

he is usually supppperrrr active, always greeting me when i walk in the room . now he’s kind of sitting on the rocks and swimming slowly. anytime another molly or platt goes over to where he is chillin, he chases the away and sometimes even chases them in circles a couple times and then goes back down.

here is the water parameters (i use the strips cause i can’t afford the kit just yet since i am a minor and my mom has me buy the majority of my fish stuff lol):

pH: ~7.2
gH: ~120
kH: ~70
nitrites: 0
nitrates: 15
AC1EE0C8-0BFF-450E-8C83-4294FDD88455.jpeg
09F656D4-3423-4823-8152-E108D3E28A8F.jpeg
EBCFFAC3-6BBD-4187-903D-690651664219.jpeg
48AED40B-5130-48A1-AA35-69512A77206F.jpeg

hey guys. i feel like this is happening constantly lol. i always have something going on. but anyways- my male milky is showing some signs of aggression and bloating. i look closely at him and can see he’s definitely gotten fatter. i’m am not going to feed tomorrow- they all could use the break since they are constantly eating. but he has never been fat. i noticed him chasing one of my female mollies ever since he got fatter. i’m going to attach some photos. please help, i love my little watson and don’t want him to be sick.

he is usually supppperrrr active, always greeting me when i walk in the room . now he’s kind of sitting on the rocks and swimming slowly. anytime another molly or platt goes over to where he is chillin, he chases the away and sometimes even chases them in circles a couple times and then goes back down.

here is the water parameters (i use the strips cause i can’t afford the kit just yet since i am a minor and my mom has me buy the majority of my fish stuff lol):

pH: ~7.2
gH: ~120
kH: ~70
nitrites: 0
nitrates: 15
View attachment 126465View attachment 126466View attachment 126467View attachment 126468
So, your GH is 120ppm correct? Mollies and all livebearers need at least 250ppm to be happy. I'm not sure this is the cause, but your water doesn't suit mollies sadly.

What are the tank dimensions as well?

Could be overfeeding or the food you are feeding them could be expired. My fish started behaving in the same way a few years back and it turned out that they had internal parasites. I'm not saying that your fish is sick but thats a worst case scenario and you should be ready for it. Good luck

okay so i woke up today and his bloating has gone down a bit and he is back to swimming around and there is no aggression. i’m going to skip feeding today, they all could use a bit of fasting anyways lol.

about my hardness- i’m not sure if 120 was right because it was incredibly dark, it was probably closer to 180 but i went with the lower number. i have already gone through the whole hardness of water thing and have spoken with my friend who also keeps fish.

nothing has been hurting my fish- their behavior has been positive since this incident and now that is even going away. i also can’t say for sure but my water here is very hard and if i’m using the strips, i’m wondering if it isn’t the most accurate reading of all.

Most reactions

Back