Fantail,comets Please Help Me

colbat1

Moved On
Reaction score
i have 2 fantails and 2 comets ever since i got the comets ( i had fantails 1st) all the fish are loseing scales and the comets and chaseing the fantails and each other whats going on

Not a good idea to mix fantails or any other fancy goldfish with straight bodied goldfish such as comets and commons. The straiht bodied goldfish will chase the fancies around and fin nip. The fancies also swim slower, and may not get their fair share of food at feeding time.

As for loosing scales, is it all of them or just the fancies? Need to take some water readings as a first step.

Too many fish in too little space.
Goldies can get territorial if not given adequate swimming room and with the comets being so much faster than the fantails you will see more chasing. Also, its possible it could be driving behaviour of males towards females though that depends on the age and sex of the fish.
Whichever it is, the fantails are going to get tired and exhausted from the chasing so its important you get them a bigger tank and maybe split them up.

One fantail when small needs 10 gallons to itself and more as it grows. Common types need at least 20 and eventually ponds so depending on the size of your fish you are already looking at needing at least 50 gallons.

I agree. I beleive your tank is to small. I only have 1 fantail now due to heater cooking the other. Hes gotta play with 3 tinfoils, and 3 comets, 1 common all double his size easily and they dont even give the fantail a 2nd look about bullying, they all swim together.

Most reactions

Back