Fancy Goldfish Dying From Ammonia Poisoning! Help!

AQUATINA

Reaction score
I should have known better but put my Goldfish in a 20 gallon tank before it was fully cycled and now she has ammonia burn and red streaks! She is not moving much and stays at the bottom. I have had this fish for 7 years and am very upset - I bought her a bigger tank I found at a garage sale thinking she would appreciate the space - I put her in too soon. I bought a new filter and changed the water 4 times at 25% each day - also put some ammonia remover in. Is there any chance of her recovering??? They say it is a slow death - should I euthanize her if she gets too bad??? PLEASE HELP!!!

Im not too sure if the fish can be saved, I'm not an expert on illnesses so hopefully somebody else can assist you with advice regarding that but you need to be doing larger water changes, more like 60/70% a time.

Goldfish are large waste producers and the prob with doing 25% changes is by the time you come to do the second change the levels will probably have risen back to what they were before the first change so in effect you'll never be really lowering the ammonia levels.

Do you have a water testing kit? If so, what kind? And what are your results?

Andy

Im not too sure if the fish can be saved, I'm not an expert on illnesses so hopefully somebody else can assist you with advice regarding that but you need to be doing larger water changes, more like 60/70% a time.

Goldfish are large waste producers and the prob with doing 25% changes is by the time you come to do the second change the levels will probably have risen back to what they were before the first change so in effect you'll never be really lowering the ammonia levels.

Do you have a water testing kit? If so, what kind? And what are your results?

Andy

I did a test this afternoon and it showed up near zero for ammonia - I don't understand what is going on...I will continue to do daily water changes and use Stress Coat - and hopefully they will live - I love these fish and hate to see them suffer

agree, the water changes should be large, frequent and use good technique with a good conditioner and rough temperature matching

How many fish do you have in this tank? In your first post you refer to 'her'....then further on it sounds like there is more than one! Goldies need huge tanks.

Hope you get your fish sorted out.

Lisa x

How many fish do you have in this tank? In your first post you refer to 'her'....then further on it sounds like there is more than one! Goldies need huge tanks.

Hope you get your fish sorted out.

Lisa x

I have 2 goldfish in a 20 gallon tank...the nitrate reading seemed a little high - I am going to do daily water changes - I just fed them and they seem to be eating ok.

Most reactions

Back