False Egg Spots On Juvies.

ashlerbam

Reaction score
Well I have just gotten into African cichlids. As I know in general Male Moothbrooders have false egg spots on their anal fin. I do have a question about that. I have heard that you can sex them by this, but I also read its not 100% correct. I just purchased my juvie saulosi group 4 days ago. And I noticed some of them have 1 false egg spot showing already. I was wondering how correct sexing is by these spots? If they have them showing already can they fade away later on?

Any other info on the topic would be helpful as well. Thanks!

Venting is the only 100% way of correctly sexing your fish. But that is also a difficult process when they are small. I have lots of female mbuna with egg spots and a couple of males with only the one.As a visual guide you may be able to distinguish between the sexes if you observe them closely - males with colour up (change their colouration) when flaring at other males or attempting to attract females.This response can also be triggered by dominance issues in the males so keep a look out when they are feeding.
Hope that helps

Venting is the only 100% way of correctly sexing your fish. But that is also a difficult process when they are small. I have lots of female mbuna with egg spots and a couple of males with only the one.As a visual guide you may be able to distinguish between the sexes if you observe them closely - males with colour up (change their colouration) when flaring at other males or attempting to attract females.This response can also be triggered by dominance issues in the males so keep a look out when they are feeding.
Hope that helps

Ya my plan is to wait, and vent at a latter date. Maybe in a few months. Since PS. Saulosi Can be tricky to sex even by color. From what I read and hear on forums. The females and sub dominant males can change color to look similar.

More just interested in what female ratio/ how common a female mouthbrooder with false egg spots is.

Most reactions

Back