F x 6 filter

Beginner_Sam

Reaction score
Recently bought this filter.
Do I need to add anything (if yes please give me the proper name so I can buy it)
I’m confused about the white little Dots. Smalls and bigger are those for same things ?
(using for 150 gallon tank)

Attachments

• IMG_3149.jpeg
    IMG_3149.jpeg
    360.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_3148.jpeg
    IMG_3148.jpeg
    399.2 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_3146.jpeg
    IMG_3146.jpeg
    340.7 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_3145.jpeg
    IMG_3145.jpeg
    349.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_3144.jpeg
    IMG_3144.jpeg
    225.6 KB · Views: 23
Good choice :)

The white dots in the middle are your ceramic biological media which is where most of your bacteria will grow. The white/grey sponges around the edge are mechanical filtration - these are what you want to clean out when you do maintenance, I always used to leave mine too gunky but I've realised that they should sort of look like they do here after you've cleaned them - might be obvious to some but I was always worried about cleaning too much off.

The black sponge might be carbon which you really don't need and you should fill all the inner baskets with as much of that bio media as possible - any ceramic, plastic or porous rocks will do. I like Seachem Matrix - bit pricey and some people doubt its abilities but I like it :)

Wills

The black sponge might be carbon which you really don't need
It might be carbon, or maybe it's just more sponge. Either way, if it is carbon and you have a tannin filled price of wood, or need to get rid of tannins, leave it in there. Activated cardon gets rid of tannins. It could also be a finer sponge, maybe.

It might be carbon, or maybe it's just more sponge. Either way, if it is carbon and you have a tannin filled price of wood, or need to get rid of tannins, leave it in there. Activated cardon gets rid of tannins. It could also be a finer sponge, maybe.
So ?

Looks good. I have removed the red strainers in my FX4s and FX6, it allows a little more bio media to fit.

That black sponge with the ridges isn't carbon. There is a black carbon floss disc that I have never used.

Most reactions

Back