Extremely bloated black neon

Fishfaced

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi, could someone please advise me on what may be wrong with one of my black neons.
I'm pretty sure it's a female, in the past few days it's became really bloated.
Looks ready to pop.
What could this be.?

pictures of the fish?
how long have you had the fish for?
what does the fish's poop look like?
is the fish eating?

I've had it for around 14 months.
Not sure on the poop but it is eating.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230901_111548_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20230901_111548_Video Player.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 23
  • Screenshot_20230901_111732_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20230901_111732_Video Player.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 21
  • Screenshot_20230901_111824_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20230901_111824_Video Player.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 20
How much has it ballooned up in the last few days?

When a fish looks like that and it gets fat over a day or two, it's usually caused by an internal bacterial infection and there's no cure. However, when they get an internal bacterial infection, they stop eating and do a stringy white poop. The fact the fish is still eating would suggest something else but it looks rather unpleasant.

Other reasons they get fat include eggs but they get fat over a period of months not days and they don't normally get that fat.

A tumour or cyst. Tumours take months to grow. Cysts can grow over a week or two and it might be a cyst. Fish will eat normally with a cyst or tumour and continue until they get too big and the cyst or tumour impedes feeding or breathing, then they die.

You can monitor it over the next few days but if it doesn't improve, I would euthanise it.

How much has it ballooned up in the last few days?

When a fish looks like that and it gets fat over a day or two, it's usually caused by an internal bacterial infection and there's no cure. However, when they get an internal bacterial infection, they stop eating and do a stringy white poop. The fact the fish is still eating would suggest something else but it looks rather unpleasant.

Other reasons they get fat include eggs but they get fat over a period of months not days and they don't normally get that fat.

A tumour or cyst. Tumours take months to grow. Cysts can grow over a week or two and it might be a cyst. Fish will eat normally with a cyst or tumour and continue until they get too big and the cyst or tumour impedes feeding or breathing, then they die.

You can monitor it over the next few days but if it doesn't improve, I would euthanise it.
I'd say it been over the past week the ballooning has happened.
I'm thinking cyst from your advice.
I'll give her a day or two, if things don't improve, I'll help her.
Thanks 👍

Most reactions

Back