Extracting debris without removing water???

TheDudeAbides818

Reaction score
Does anyone have any suggestions for removing waste and debris from gravel without the removal of the tank water? In between water changes I’d like to be able to do a little upkeep. Can only remove so much without removing so much water.

It seems counter-intuitive. How much builds up between weekly water changes?

I never top up either, for what that info's worth. Water changes are good things.

Yes, there are many options...

But probably everybody here will have the same "lips burning question..."

Aqueon ProClean Gravel Vacuum: This vacuum features a built-in filter that traps debris while allowing the clean water to flow back into the aquarium.

Marineland Magnum 350 Pro Filter: While primarily a canister filter, it can also be used as a gravel vacuum with the included siphon tube. It has a large filter capacity to handle debris effectively.

Fluval Gravel Vac: This vacuum features a reusable filter that can be easily cleaned and replaced.

But... "Why ?"

BTW: All of them makes water murky. Not a single one can handle Mulm for real. you would need a sediment bed filter to do so.

A scam if you ask me.

It’s maybe time for the old fashioned dip tube to make a comeback . I made a kind of a one by zip tying a piece of airline tubing to a stick . I use it to get uneaten food and unsightly turds in between water changes .

It’s maybe time for the old fashioned dip tube to make a comeback . I made a kind of a one by zip tying a piece of airline tubing to a stick . I use it to get uneaten food and unsightly turds in between water changes .

You're the man. I'm the man, he's the man as well !!!

img_002553c-jpg.346145

It seems counter-intuitive. How much builds up between weekly water changes?

I never top up either, for what that info's worth. Water changes are good things.
It’s not that a lot builds up in between, it’s just that after the last water change I realized there were some significant spots I missed that had a lot of debris built up. Perhaps I’m just overthinking this too much. It’s never going to be 100% debris-free, and my water is currently crystal clear. I suppose that and the fact that the water is testing good as well shouldn’t be any cause for concern.

You could use a siphon hose through a coffee filter type thing - whatever's lying around. Just let the water fall back into the tank.

Or siphon normally, and drop a jug of water in after to compensate.

You could use a siphon hose through a coffee filter type thing - whatever's lying around. Just let the water fall back into the tank.

Or siphon normally, and drop a jug of water in after to compensate.
Yeah, just clean the gravel with a siphon as normal and then quickly filter the water you've removed and put back in tank. I sometimes do this. A fine mesh filter works quite well - the type used to strain off BBS.

Most reactions

Back