Extra Betta

bunnies&bettas

Reaction score
I thought I had it all planned so well. I had been wanting a 10 gallon planted tank with a male half-moon betta for a long time. Finally, after 51 days, my tank was cycled and a few days later I ordered the fish I'd been wanting on ebay. While waiting for it to arrive, I added plants and 6 harlequin rasboras. Thanks to the cycling instruction, compatibility table, and all the great things I've been learning from this forum, I was all set. Today was my day off work and the fish was scheduled to arrive. I opened the box as soon as it came and found that the shipper had included a free bonus fish!!! I had to run out and buy a cheap 1 gal. betta tank. It is exactly what I was trying to avoid. It is not cycled and has an under gravel filter. Now I have to find it a home as I have no place to set up another tank. I am very upset.

I've noticed that a couple people on this forum list Virginia as their residence. If anyone is near Arlington and wants a beautiful free betta, let me know. My camera isn't working but I'll try to get a picture soon. I think it's a male plakat, big ear, dragon. It looks a bit like the attached photo. The body is bluish with red butterfly markings on fins. Very pretty. I hope he does ok in his temporary tank. I had to get him out of that plastic bag after 3 days in it.
freebetta.jpg

If I were you, I'd go out and get a tank that's a little larger (5 gallons would be ideal but understandably may not have room for this) with a small internal filter. Place any cycled media you are able to donate from any other setups into that small internal - you could sell the fish with the tank too if you wanted to. I'm not sure how UGFs work, but if there's a part for media in there, I'd take some from any other tanks you have and put it in there if you can.

Were you not told about the suprise betta at all?

I wish I could help you - I'm in the UK so I am unable take him, but I agree that he is rather pretty. I'm sure someone will have him. Maybe post in the classifieds section?

I would try to make sure that he goes to a good home if you are unable to keep him rather than giving him to a store though unless you trust them to sell them to a good home - so many stores don't really care about the fish and/or don't give proper advice (eg bettas in vases).

Yes, you are right. I went out at lunchtime and bought a 5 gal. and all the stuff for it. The only place I can find is on the kitchen counter. I wouldn't give it to a store or to anyone who'd keep it in less than a 5 gal. So I guess he/she stays with me.

Thanks for your responses and advice. I'll take a picture of both my new bettas as soon as I can. (And, no, I had no idea the seller was sending me a second fish.)

If you would post it of take it, but looks like you've got another betta now ;)

Most reactions

Back