External Filters?

mtbdean

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Evening all.

Looking for a bit of help choosing an External Filter. But I'll give you a background 1st.

1x 180l Tank (Running an Interpet PF4 + a Random Fluval One) General Community ie: Tetra's/Livebearers/Corys
1x 60l Tank, Split in the Center with a Fighter on one side, and Livebearer Fry on the otherside (Both sides running a small Air Powered Filter)

Both tanks have been fishless cycled last November (Ie Ammonia, wait, flush, etc), and a 20% water change done every 2 weeks.

Stats are Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 10, PH 7.5

I'm looking for an external Filter, for under £80, that I can set up to Filter the Main Tank, One that I have got my eye on is the All Pond Solutions External Filter
http://www.allpondsolutions.co.uk/aquarium-1/aquarium-filters/external-filters/aquarium-external-filter-1000-l-h.html
or the same, but with a UV
http://www.allpondsolutions.co.uk/aquarium-1/aquarium-filters/external-filters/aquarium-external-filter-1000-l-h-9w-uv.html

Does anyone have this Filter, and what it's like? Are they easier to Maintain than the Internals? Are they quiet? And futhermost, how do you actually set them up?

Once I have purchased the Filter, I shall run it alongside my PF4, and drop some Mature Media from the Fluval Internal within, constantly testing, to which i'd finally turn off the Internal, drop the Mature Media from that. And go from there!

Cheers for any advice in advance!

For the 180L I would suggest bigger than a 205 if you`re considering the Fluval externals. I found that the smaller filters weren`t man enough to filter very well on my previous 180L setup ;)

The 305 would be better, impressed with my secondhand one. Also tetratec 1200 would be a great choice too! Aps are ok, but would struggle with your 180 unless you went for the 2000 model. Coldcazzie has recently done a test on her 2000 and its pumping out 900 litres an hour once full of media.

Just found out that my tank is actually 160, but Ive got quite a bit of gravel, so I'd probably say its 150l, I shall be ordering the Fluval 205 on Friday

Cheers for the advice!

Does no-one rate the All Pond ones linked in the 1st post? They are cheaper, have a higher capacity and I like the idea of the UV sterilizer.

Ain't they any good or does no-one have experience of them?

Does no-one rate the All Pond ones linked in the 1st post? They are cheaper, have a higher capacity and I like the idea of the UV sterilizer.

Ain't they any good or does no-one have experience of them?
Have a look at the APS thread further down and the diy section regarding filter flow,its does say what the aps filter are like :good:

edited to add link for above mentioned :) APS

Thanks, have posted on that thread for some answers.

forget the APS 1000 its serious poop man

fluval is the way forward :)

Most reactions

Back