External Filter

Duck1976

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi there,

I've been looking at upgrading my filters (I am currently running with the stuck on Juwel internal and a Tetratec EX700) on my 300L tank. I want to remove the juwel's internal filter to get the full space out of the tank and am looking at getting a new external to do the job.

I'd prefer to be able to get one big enough to do the job on it's own however I also want one which will fit inside the cabinet.

Height and depth are no worries, but the cupboard is only approx 31cm wide (and this is pretty tight so may require me taking off the door to get the filter in and out). I'd love to get an FX5 or Eheim 2080, but they simply won't fit (and the 2080 is soooo close at 33cm). This could fit it the central section but that would require drilling through the cabinet to run the intlet and outlet pipes, which I don't want to do in case of trying to sell the tank later on (looking at getting a bigger house, which in my mind will mean bigger tank!).

I've been having a look at some of the Eheim's with built in heaters but not too sure about those and also the Eheim 2078.

Any one any experience with these filters, or any other suggestions? Higher the flow rate the better so i can at least future-proof myself a bit!

Eheim thermos are as reliable as Eheim Eccos and Fluval exturnals, i.e. not very :/ Stick to the non-thermo pro2 range, say a 2028 and a Hydor EHT 300 if you want exturnal heating...

I would put some more condideration into running a TetraTec EX1200 allong side your 700 (read your other thread in chat about this BTW) if your budget is tighter...

All the best
Rabbut

whats the stocking of the 300?
even running two 700s should be adequate at just under 5x turn over, although I agree with rabbut you will not be disappointed with the 1200 and 700 combo, and considering you can get the EX1200 for only a few quid dearer, its definitely worthwhile considering

whats the stocking of the 300?
even running two 700s should be adequate at just under 5x turn over, although I agree with rabbut you will not be disappointed with the 1200 and 700 combo, and considering you can get the EX1200 for only a few quid dearer, its definitely worthwhile considering

I've always been of the opinion that it is impossible to over filter and even though the manufacturer says about the flow rate, that is mainly when brand new and with no media in and in reality can be a little as half what they say.

I am seriously thinking about running a 700 & 1200 together, but am going to look as much as pos at just the single, larger filter first. If I can't see anything that fits then I'll get the 1200.

Hi there,

I've been looking at upgrading my filters (I am currently running with the stuck on Juwel internal and a Tetratec EX700) on my 300L tank. I want to remove the juwel's internal filter to get the full space out of the tank and am looking at getting a new external to do the job.

I'd prefer to be able to get one big enough to do the job on it's own however I also want one which will fit inside the cabinet.

Height and depth are no worries, but the cupboard is only approx 31cm wide (and this is pretty tight so may require me taking off the door to get the filter in and out). I'd love to get an FX5 or Eheim 2080, but they simply won't fit (and the 2080 is soooo close at 33cm). This could fit it the central section but that would require drilling through the cabinet to run the intlet and outlet pipes, which I don't want to do in case of trying to sell the tank later on (looking at getting a bigger house, which in my mind will mean bigger tank!).

I've been having a look at some of the Eheim's with built in heaters but not too sure about those and also the Eheim 2078.

Any one any experience with these filters, or any other suggestions? Higher the flow rate the better so i can at least future-proof myself a bit!

you got a problem guy! if you want, anything near, 5x flow you will need two, or the FX5 or PRO3 Eheim. worse still the 700 tetra x2 will not do the job either. 700 tetra push about 350-400lph at best. so the tetra 1200x2, they push about 600-700lph.
if you have the dough, go for the 2080 as the FX5(my first choice for you) is clearly too big. if not two tetra 1200's should do the trick.

you got a problem guy! if you want, anything near, 5x flow you will need two, or the FX5 or PRO3 Eheim. worse still the 700 tetra x2 will not do the job either. 700 tetra push about 350-400lph at best. so the tetra 1200x2, they push about 600-700lph.
if you have the dough, go for the 2080 as the FX5(my first choice for you) is clearly too big. if not two tetra 1200's should do the trick.

Would love the fx5 or 2080 but they simply don't fit in. Been checking up on the web and the 2078 seems to have a bigger flow rate than the 2080 (just due to it being newer I think) and looks like it may fit. Gonna measure the height tonight as it will def fit in width wise, but looks like it is pretty tall.

We may have a winner.... Now to get searching the net again to see how cheap I can get one.

Would love the fx5 or 2080 but they simply don't fit in. Been checking up on the web and the 2078 seems to have a bigger flow rate than the 2080 (just due to it being newer I think) and looks like it may fit. Gonna measure the height tonight as it will def fit in width wise, but looks like it is pretty tall.

We may have a winner.... Now to get searching the net again to see how cheap I can get one.

OK, here are the sizes of the two Ehiems:
Dimensions (L x W x H): 12" x 12.75" x 23" 2080
Dimensions:(L x W x H): 10.50" x 10.50" x 21" 2078

i would not worry, too much on the flow rate. there is 150lph difference in the two. both seem to push 1200lph in real life. whilst i have no experience on these guys, the 78, seems, to have electrical problems, or more precisely, these problems are being mentioned by some owners. the 80 also has twin inlets, i've not looked into it, but it seems to aid flow. this said, if it fits, buy it! you aint got 5x flow, only the FX5 can offer that in one filter, ok, i know about the 22 series classics(they are way too big), and remember the flow rates i am speaking of are "Real" not those on the box. this probably means you will be closer to 5x flow than many, who think they have it, are :good:

Most reactions

Back