External Filter

Duck1976

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
HI there,

I've been looking at upgrading my filters (I am currently running with the stuck on Juwel internal and a Tetratec EX700) on my 300L tank. I want to remove the juwel's internal filter to get the full space out of the tank and am looking at getting a new external to do the job.

I'd prefer to be able to get one big enough to do the job on it's own however I also want one which will fit inside the cabinet.

Height and depth are no worries, but the cupboard is only approx 31cm wide (and this is pretty tight so may require me taking off the door to get the filter in and out). I'd love to get an FX5 or Eheim 2080, but they simply won't fit (and the 2080 is soooo close at 33cm). This could fit it the central section but that would require drilling through the cabinet to run the intlet and outlet pipes, which I don't want to do in case of trying to sell the tank later on (looking at getting a bigger house, which in my mind will mean bigger tank!).

I've been having a look at some of the Eheim's with built in heaters but not too sure about those and also the Eheim 2078.

Any one any experience with these filters, or any other suggestions? Higher the flow rate the better so i can at least future-proof myself a bit!

Have you thought about the tetratex EX1200?

Thought about it, but think that it would require me to keep the 700 running at the same time as well. Would prefer to goto a single filter if pos due to space more than anything.

The 1200 is top of my back up plan though as I haven't had any problems at all with the 700.

I'm selling a Fluval 405 that I'm currently using on my Juwel Rio 300 tank.

Fits in the cabinet fine (Had to take the shelf out, of course)

Let me know if you're interested - happy to post.

Most reactions

Back