External Filter, Is It Worth It?

Chris001

Reaction score
I have a 120litre tank. Ive had it for about 5months now, It still has its internal filter. I fed up of doing water changes all the time.

*If I was to get an external filter would this be better?
*which one should I get?
*I was thinking Fluval 305 is this to big?
*Also will this increase the size of my tank by much?
*and could this increase the amount of fish I could put in!?

Any answers would be appreciated.

Hi,
Hope this helps.

I have a 120litre tank. Ive had it for about 5months now, It still has its internal filter. I fed up of doing water changes all the time.

- I would still recommend the same amount of water changes, as nitrates still need to be removed.

Filter maintenance is easier and less frequent, and i found my stats to to be rock solid and the tank easier to keep clean with much clearer water.

*which one should I get?

You will get different answers from different people here. I use an eheim, not the cheapest but it's great. However, I have nothing to compare it to other than my old juwel internal filter. Fluval and tetratec also get good reviews from different people.

People often recommend filters where the Litres per Hour is over 5x that of the volume of your tank. Your tank is 120 litres and the LPH of the filter is 1000. However up to 10x can be ok. Perhaps others can comment on whether the flow is ok for the fish in your tank.

minimally. you gain the space from not having to have the internal one, and a few litres that the cannister holds.

Well, good filtration can mean you can overstock slightly, but I use that term very loosely. It means from a filtration perspective you would be good, but it comes down the the fish in the tank, swimming room, aggression space, hiding places etc. etc.

I changed from internal to external and I am so glad I did. maintenance is much easier to manage, but keep up the water changes. If you do switch, look into running the filters side by side for a few weeks to cycle the new filter, or putting some of the old filter media into the new filter to help keep the tank cycled with that friendly bacteria!

Cheers
Squid

*which one should I get?

yes, greatly.
Very much up to you. but you will need something "claiming" 1000lph (this will give you a real flow of 5-600lph) but a Eheim (around £50 on ebay) 2224 will just about do it. Tetraex1200 will also be up to it. personally i would avoid Fluval cannisters. (but thats just me)
No, not in the slightest.
marginally.
depends on your stocking now. but, even if it does. you will need to add stock slowly.

@squid, on a personal note. could i ask you to stop inserting your own comments in quotes attributed to other members. i understand you highlight them to show your comments. but they are in Quotation marks. these should only contain the words of the original poster.

i had a 60 litre tank with a tetratec ex600 external filter, after having that set up id never go back to an internal even for a small tank, it was excellent & kept my tank so clean :cool:

if u add an external filter to your tank, put some of the media from your internal filter into the external but make sure u run the internal and the external together for a while, this way your filter bacteria wont die and cause problems with water.

as to water changes, just buy a test kit and do weekly/fortnightly water tests, if the water is good, leave it, if not act as required.

if u find the water is fine but smells a little do a change, i have seen tests results where water is tested and OK but smells a bit funky.

external filters - get one your LFS recommends, within your price range and read a few reviews on the internet before you buy.

remember that maidenhead aquatics will price match most websites if u have proof of the total price, try and find a website that offers free delivery on orders over £50.

there is two websites they wont price match, i cant remember the names but if i do i will add them.

i got a fluval 305, not used it yet but one reason i bought it was i saw good reviews for it, its easy to maintain and use.

good luck :)

Most reactions

Back