External Filter For Small Tank

you could maybe half fill the compartment that holds the noodles and cut you old sponge up into bits to fit in the other half, if you do that you could remove a bit of sponge a week and replace with noodles.

if you don't mind running the filter you have at the moment for another 4 weeks you could just run both together then remove the internal, when i moved over to the external what i did was remove 1 pad from the juwel filter a week , after 4 weeks i removed the juwel internal..

you could maybe half fill the compartment that holds the noodles and cut you old sponge up into bits to fit in the other half, if you do that you could remove a bit of sponge a week and replace with noodles.

if you don't mind running the filter you have at the moment for another 4 weeks you could just run both together then remove the internal, when i moved over to the external what i did was remove 1 pad from the juwel filter a week , after 4 weeks i removed the juwel internal..

I like the first idea!

The filter looks the nuts btw, I can't wait to get it running!

I like the first idea!

Just realised that I am getting excited about a filter - OMG what's happening to me! :look:

I like the first idea!

Just realised that I am getting excited about a filter - OMG what's happening to me! :look:

Ok so I got my filter working and then, I managed to get water all over my bedroom! Proper mess!

Can anyone help me work out how I stop an external filter?

Its a good filter but a bit noisy for me (hardly had any sleep last night) so I want to take it off again. The problem is that the cannister is full of water and I need to take the in and out tubes off to move the filter to the sink. Can anyone help me to not make a mess?

Thanks!

you could hold the filter above the tank and remove the hoses from the filter. you sure its not just air that's trapped that's causing the noise ?? i read on a forum where i guy said it was quieter that his eheim classic filter.

http://petfrd.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1...age=1&pp=15

sorry to here your not liking it, feel guilty as it was me who posted the link :(

sorry m8

Kev

No way mate - It seems like a good filter and its a perfect size. Only problem is that I am light sleeper! :nod:

I am going to leave the filter to "run in" for a while and see how it goes.

I appreciate that you managed to point me in the direction of a small cheap and hopefully quiet filter.

I can't put the filter above the tank though as the hoses are too short.

I've got one of those Eden 501's and after a few hours of rocking and shaking to get all the air out, it ran really quiet.
However it was downstairs, not in my bedroom !

They are a great filter option for small tanks, but I think there is bit of a design flaw in them. Nothing too serious and with a little bit of tweaking it can easily be overcome.
When you open the filter you'll see that the Outflow pipe to the tank attches to the section with the internal sponge filter. The Intake pipe brings water from the tank direct to the bacterial ceramic media.

This pic helps show what I mean:
eden_501_5.jpg

I think it's down to the fact that this filter is basically a modified sponge filter that was for internal use. They've taken the pump and added it to an external box.

Ideally you'd want any rubbish straining off before it gets that far, not just before it is returned to the tank. I have noticed that in it's default state, the ceramic media gets clogged up quite quickly and water flow can start to reduce.

I tried two methods to overcome this, both very simple and both seemed to work.

First I tried simply swapping the sponge and cermaic media between compartments. You just need to be careful positioning the pipe from the bottom of the pump down in to the ceramic. It worked, but was a bit fiddly when
cleaning the filter. Everytime you open the filter it was hard to get the pipe back into the ceramic, without distrubing everything.

A far simpler option is to leave a small gap and place some sponge ontop of the cermaic media. This filters out most of the junk from the tank and leaves things underneath much cleaner. I also swapped out some of the original sponge for a much finer grade and this worked very well.

Al

I've got one of those Eden 501's and after a few hours of rocking and shaking to get all the air out, it ran really quiet.
However it was downstairs, not in my bedroom !

They are a great filter option for small tanks, but I think there is bit of a design flaw in them. Nothing too serious and with a little bit of tweaking it can easily be overcome.
When you open the filter you'll see that the Outflow pipe to the tank attches to the section with the internal sponge filter. The Intake pipe brings water from the tank direct to the bacterial ceramic media.

This pic helps show what I mean:
eden_501_5.jpg

I think it's down to the fact that this filter is basically a modified sponge filter that was for internal use. They've taken the pump and added it to an external box.

Ideally you'd want any rubbish straining off before it gets that far, not just before it is returned to the tank. I have noticed that in it's default state, the ceramic media gets clogged up quite quickly and water flow can start to reduce.

I tried two methods to overcome this, both very simple and both seemed to work.

First I tried simply swapping the sponge and cermaic media between compartments. You just need to be careful positioning the pipe from the bottom of the pump down in to the ceramic. It worked, but was a bit fiddly when
cleaning the filter. Everytime you open the filter it was hard to get the pipe back into the ceramic, without distrubing everything.

A far simpler option is to leave a small gap and place some sponge ontop of the cermaic media. This filters out most of the junk from the tank and leaves things underneath much cleaner. I also swapped out some of the original sponge for a much finer grade and this worked very well.

Al

that sounds great - I will give it a go tonight - just so happens I have put a bit of sponge from my old filter in the Eden filter (except I put the sponge in the bottom of the Eden.

The noise does sound like it could be the water hitting the ceramic actually!

Thankyou very much!

No problem.

Also when filling the filter the best way I've found to ensure it's as full as possible is to place the filter in an empty
bucket (just to avoid spills). Open the small filler inlet and fill it up until it's just about over flowing and then put the cap back on.

When you turn the filter on there will still be some air trapped inside. Gently rock the filter from side to side and back and forth for a few mins to disloge it. Do that 2 or 3 times over a period of a few hours and it should run far quieter.

When I first got mine I was a little worried about how noisy it was ..... now it's silent !

No problem.

Also when filling the filter the best way I've found to ensure it's as full as possible is to place the filter in an empty
bucket (just to avoid spills). Open the small filler inlet and fill it up until it's just about over flowing and then put the cap back on.

When you turn the filter on there will still be some air trapped inside. Gently rock the filter from side to side and back and forth for a few mins to disloge it. Do that 2 or 3 times over a period of a few hours and it should run far quieter.

When I first got mine I was a little worried about how noisy it was ..... now it's silent !

So if I fill it more will it be quieter? I just presumed that filling it would just get it started and that by getting it started the filter would then fill up?

I am going to move the sponge to the top tonight, thanks MR G and Kevstir, I really appreciate your help!

No problem.

So if I fill it more will it be quieter? I just presumed that filling it would just get it started and that by getting it started the filter would then fill up?

I am going to move the sponge to the top tonight, thanks MR G and Kevstir, I really appreciate your help!

I took the filter apart last night and put the foam in place, then I restarted it and shook it about a few times.

It was a bit quiter last night but still not great, it has a whirring noise which I think could be the motor. I will let it wear in a bit and see how it goes.

Thanks folks!

Hi m8

Just wondering how your getting on with the filter??

getting close to buying one for my little 30ltr

Can you adjust the flow on the filter??

Kev

i have one of those eden filters too .. works fine in my 3.5g .. its a little strong so all i did was drill some extra holes in the spray bar. other than that its working along silently

had one on my 28l tank and it ran so quietly it was fantastic, it was in my spare room but I have fell asleep in there on many occasions and I am a light sleeper, never woken once. Also had guests staying in there and no noise worries either. I had mine filled to the brim with nodules, sponge and a phosphate x satchet though, so maybe less maneuvering room for the water to hit off stuff ?

Most reactions

Back