Evening All

nitro7

Fishaholic
Reaction score
just catching up on the posts,the one about the cost of electric to run your tank.has anybody though of useing solar powered lights in there tank, :hyper: i put some solar decking ones under my wall picture rail in the breakfast room(kitching just been posh lol)and it lights it up brill. :good: :good: going to try and get some more when nettos get them in again£14.99,and put them in my tank hood :hyper: :rolleyes: has any body tryed this? :shout: free lighting for your tank.

Don't they need to charge up in the sun during the day?

They are completely useless for growing plants anyway.

Actually, some marine aquarists use direct sunlight as their main lighting for the tank... supplimenting only in the morning and evening with halide and T5 lighting... you may be saying... this is stupid... algae will bloom like crazy and the tank will go downhill fast... but if you can create an environment with low phosphates and waste material... then the algae would have no nutrients to feed on and thereby no algae... so if you have a heavy planted tank, using the sun coming through your window could be a great option if you do frequent water changes to keep nitrates down and use meatier foods if possible to reduce phosphate introduction into the tank.

But if this is not for you... the solar lights sound like a very green and responsible decision ;)

Ox :good:

Most reactions

Back