Euthanize a fish in a PAINLESS way

Avel1896

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
It is a very sad and tough moment to deal with, but you will maybe have to do it, one day or another...
Here is how I proceed using essential clove oil which is according to me the only painless way to make your fish pass away as clove oil is an effective anaesthetic. Good luck.

As difficult and strange it seems, take your time, stay calm, breathe deeply : it will help you stay in control.

Dosage given for fish up to 8 cm/3 inches. To be adjusted according fish size.

What you will need :​

- a container for 1.5 to 2 litres of water (to be adapted to fish size) with lid
- a vial with a cap
- a net,
- clove oil + dropper.

1️⃣ Fill the container with water from the aquarium, catch the fish and put it in.

2️⃣ Pour 5 drops of clove oil into the vial, add very hot water to dilute oil, shake hard and slowly pour into the fish's container and lid it.

After 4-6 minutes fish will fall asleep.

3️⃣ After this time, put 20 drops of clove oil in the vial, fill it with very hot water, shake it hard and pour it into the fish's container all at once.

4) After about 15 minutes, if the gills do not move at all, the fish has passed away.

If the gills still move, repeat the oil/water mixture until the fish dies.

Again, good luck.

container.jpg
viallid.jpg
epuisnet.jpg
cloveoil1.jpg
dropper1.jpg

I have gotten the same unfortunate fortunate results without using hot water. No one likes doing this, but it works.

I have to admit though, the last time I bought clove oil, a naturopath came over to glow about its benefits, and when I told him I was buying it as a deadly poison for euthanasia,of a terminally suffering fish, well, he finally had nothing to say.

I ALWAYS use clove oil when and IF I have to euthanize a fish, (which has only happened twice) It is very quiet and looks very peaceful and I never noticed signs of labored breathing or distress. I hate doing it, but it seems so peaceful.

Taking the life, yourself, of a living being is an ordeal, even when you have it done by a veterinarian.

Most reactions

Back