Equipment For My Fish House.

What are you trying achieve with this venture is it for display or breeding or what.
Regards
BigC

..a balance between the two.

If the fish sell, the tanks will then be set up for breeding purposes soley.

Any particular species/type you'd like to concentrate on

Hmm not really sure yet..

Maybe some of these lot to start with:

Cichlids
Angels
Guppies
Gouramis
Corys

See Tolak for the Angels he's your Guru on those.

From what I have looked into the Hailea 70 is a good pump, one of the better ones in their line, I would go for it. That isn't a bad price for pre-built manifolds, I'm too cheap, I build my own. Here's a link to one of the supply outfits I use, they have a nice picture of how the valves fit into the pipe; http://www.jehmco.com/html/air_accessories.html

Building a ring is suggested, this is to equal out any pressure drops at the end of a long run. I don't know how true this is, I have a couple of 150's & five 40's at the end of a run, no ring, and no pressure problems.

Much of building an air system is customizing it to your individual situation, much like there is no complete drop in kitchen rehab. You do have to determine the parts & pieces of gear you need, and pretty much piece it together, much like installing cabinets, counters, sinks & such in a kitchen rehab. There is often a bit of wiggling, customizing, or rigging in both, so a list of things you plan on picking up before ordering will help to prevent ordering something you don't need, or having to order more of something.

For substrate I've always gone with the pound of gravel per gallon for a good start. Even though most of my tanks in the fish room are bare bottom, I do have a 55 with gravel & a bit of driftwood. It is a sort of centerpiece tank, adds a little break from the racks of bare tanks.

For substrate I've always gone with the pound of gravel per gallon for a good start. Even though most of my tanks in the fish room are bare bottom, I do have a 55 with gravel & a bit of driftwood. It is a sort of centerpiece tank, adds a little break from the racks of bare tanks.

Sure thing Tolak, pretty similar to all of the above. I asked the question what you wanted to do with the tanks show or breed, to assertain why you wanted gravel as most breeders use bare bottom tanks.
I too got bored with an all breeding setup and its always nice to have a display tank in there also to break the monotony.
Regards
BigC

Hey guys

Great..I'm much more in the know now :good: All this advice is very much appreciated.

The 'ring' idea definitely sounds the easiest/best way to set this up..and is what I'm going for.

Ok more questions lol...

The 'Ring'. I think the shed is around 20 meters square. Can I use either 15 or 22mm flexi pipe for this main ring? We already have some of this and it would save on costs. All I would need to buy would be 4-5 bends (if I didn't want to bend the pipe directly around corners), some brackets/clips and something to connect the ring to the pump. This pipe should be ok for drilling? As soon as this is comfirmed I can go order the pump/manifolds/connectors/brackets.

Should the ring be hanging from ceiling..or somewhere along the walls? The layout will consist of tanks lining the walls (2-3 high) and a central 1-2ft wide bench area. What about a ring hanging from the ceiling with an extra central pipe running straight through it (the ring)? This would create an overhead air access pipe for the central area? Or should I just keep it to a simple ring? Would the extra 2 t piece connectors and the extra length of pipe justify adapting the ring?

How do I attach this main ring to the Hailea 70? Some sort of down pipe I assume, same thickness pipe as the ring? Any other fittings needed to make this connection? Once everything is set up, will the main ring be the only connection to the pump? Or can I make other connections (direct with silicone airline maybe?).

If for instance I need more pressure in the ring (fair sized ring at around 19m squared) can another pump be added to up the pressure? Would they work together?

Sorry guys if some of my questions have already been answered. Sometimes takes a while for it to sink in/understand lol!

Yeah about the substrate. The smaller tanks will be very minimul if any at all (in some set ups). The idea was to decor the larger tanks that may hold a 'breeding pair' for years to come. If the fish are going to be in a tank for the long term, I would like to give them a decent and natural environment to live in :good: I'm aiming for the healthiest/highest quality fish I'm capable of and I think spending a little extra time/money on certain environments will benefit me/the fish in the long run. :) Also, like you say guys, I myself couldn't stand a 23x10ft shed kitted out with bare tanks :-(

Going to experiment with different substrate for different set ups. Things like what colour brings out certain fish's colours the best? and whats the best substrate for saving certain types of eggs, etc. Does anybody know the answer to my substrate area question? How much substrate does it take to cover a square foot of area with 1" thickness? This is to help me work out how far a 20kg bag would go?

Cheers for the link Tolak...gonna check it out now :good:

EDIT: Just a thought. There will also be 1-2 6 footers in the fish house. Two reasons..for viewing purposes and to house some fish that have no problems taking unwanted fry :) I think this is the most natural way to overcome this problem.

Ideas are welcome on what type of fish for the 6 footers? I've always wanted a BGK and I very much like the idea of owning oscars. Are these fish compatible to each other and the tank size? Also, will they take the fry?

Can I use either 15 or 22mm flexi pipe for this main ring? We already have some of this and it would save on costs
Can do I suppose but the rigid pipe is not that expensive and straight connectors for that run are mere pennies.
Should the ring be hanging from ceiling..or somewhere along the walls
Whatever suits you best. All you need is a tape measure.
Or should I just keep it to a simple ring? Would the extra 2 t piece connectors and the extra length of pipe justify adapting the ring?
If that suits it could be incorporated also but best use rigid pipework.
How do I attach this main ring to the Hailea 70?
On that site with the manifolds there are some Single 4mm airline valves in the Airline fittings section. you'll need about 6 of these (best have some spare.
If you look at the picture at the top you will see these tapped into a ridgid pipe. You drill a small hole in the main and screw these in where you want your inputs and outputs to go.(little bit of glue or solvent cement will seal these in place) then you run airlines from your pump into the main at one end and outlets to your manifolds at the other.
can another pump be added to up the pressure? Would they work together?
As I said earlier I ran 2 pumps with mine, you will have to leave a spare single manifold tap free and regulate to slightly open to allieviate the pressure in the main incase you blow the whole thing apart. You wont need another pump.

I would incorporate box ponds for rearing fry on.
Build a 2x2 framework and make box sections with plywood or chipboard. (to whatever size you want) Once joined together line with polystyrene. Then buy some cheap lt. blue pondliner spread it over the box you've made and run the hose onto the liner, the weight of the water will let it find it own shape to suit the box. Pull gently to get rid of most of the creasing. There will still be some slight reasing in the corners (nature of the shape). once filled trim the liner and make up a mitred frame to cover the edges. comprende.

Phew!
Regards
BigC

Thanks for that BigC :good:

Yeah, I like the idea of box ponds. Seems like it could be a cheep option an I would enjoy making them :D

Ok, I need to get this order sorted......

Just as a matter of interest, How are you going about heating, Space heater or individual heater/stats

Going to start off with individual heating (just so I can get some tanks set up sharpish). There will probably be 2 oil filled radiators fitted at a later date.

I'll experiment with the heating. If the radiators are successful in different conditions, I will not buy anymore individual heaters and use the ones I currently have (around 6) for the most essential tanks. :good:

I'm unsure about something. Is the idea of heating the room to eliminate 'in tank' heaters all together? Or should the heaters still be present in the tanks (backup) and the point of the radiators is to have the individual heaters running less/if at all?

Just ordered some of the things I need...

HAILEA Hi Blo 70
Chrome 18 Way Manifold
5 Way Manifold
5 Non Returns
Single 4mm Chrome Airline Valve (8X)
Tee Connector 4mm (X12)
20 Mtrs Top Quality Airline (soft 4mm)

All delivered for just under £100. Read good things about the pump, all in all looks like a good deal :good:

Still undecided about the piping. If I bought rigid for the air ring, could I use the flexi I already have for the water change system? The flexi is 15&22mm (20-30mtrs of each) Just seems a waste not using it.

Hey guys.

I'm about to order the pipework from Fish fur and feather. :)

What was the diameter of pipe I'm looking for again? (air ring)

How far should the pipe clips be spaced? (Help me work out how many I need?)

I think I need around 20-22 mtrs of piping, (3-4x) 90 degree elbows, (1x) 45 degree elbow, clips, connectors.

What else do I need again guys? T piece/s? to connect a downpipe from ring to the pump (or should that be uppipe..with pump sitting above) Any bushes or reducers or anything like that? What about pipe glue? Do I need some sort of inline valve/tap to control the main ring?

Lastly it says on the site 1 metre lengths, but can request other length. Is 1 metre lengths ok, or would longer lengths be a better choice? Is there any benefits other than using less connectors?

Damn I'm thick lol!

What should the minimum diameter of the 'air ring' piping be again? (mm)

What fitting do I need to connect the 'air ring' to the Hailea 70 pump?

Do I need any ball valves/taps to control the main ring or anything like that?

Do I need pipe glue?

Should I request a specific length or go with the 1metre lengths?

How many pipe brackets for a 20metre square area?

Just need to to comfirm the above, then I can go order the stuff :good:

Does nobody fancy coming online shopping with me? I'll choose the shop (fish fur and feather) and you can show me exactly what to buy, lol! :D

Most reactions

Back