Endler Breeding Questions!

Genesis

If you're a cory and you know it clap your.. hands
Reaction score
I'm planning on breeding my Endler's livebearers, atm I have 5 males.
I do not know if my LFS has any female endlers as they were all brightly coloured when I looked into their tank at the LFS.
Should I try and find some pure-strain Endler females? Or would it be alright with Guppy females?
How many females do you reckon should I purchase for my 5 males?
It is a 50 litre community tank with tankmates; 4 Cardinal Tetras & 6 Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish.

Help and advice would be greatly appreciated :good:

- Genesis

You wll find that most endlers sold in lfs are not pure strain endlers anyway, i would find some female endlers and put them in with the males, although you can use guppies, you will get some very nice fish out of mixing guppies with endlers as long as you dont mind crossing them together (i do it sometimes with mine).

You really want 1 male to every 2-3 females, if your wanting to breed them you may have to get another tank as you will get overun with fry.

Thankyou for your advice, I will look for Endler females but if I cannot find them then I will go for some guppies!
I have another 15L tank I could raise fry in :)
Would this be suitable till they are fully grown, when I could sell them back to my LFS ^_^

- Genesis

Ye shop is are 90% of the time crosses and only on occations do u see females.

I can get true endlers but dont breed them, in my sig their is a fish auction in Corby where their will defo be some for sale.
Having a rearing tank is handy as your cardanels and rainbows will eat the fry as well.

have fun though water ever you do.

If you really want to breed endlers, you don't want guppies in with them. If you don't care they will cross easily. To breed endlers, set up a tank with at least 1 of each male and female at around 27C and get out of the way. You will need to provide clean water and some fish food. After a few months start scooping out the endlers that have resulted. I started with 5 pairs in October and am looking for more space because my 20 gallon and my 45 gallon are both full of a mix of fry, juveniles and adults.
To me it sounds like your biggest challenge will be finding the female endlers to start with.

Endlers can be had by getting them on line. I know that SWAMPRIVER AQUATICS has sold them to people overseas before. They are located in Florida and are quite good at shipping them. They almost always have some pairs for sale on aquabid but are willing to deal privately also.

AdrianHD from swampriver is the best person to get fish from, he's know allover the world for quality endlers. The only problem is getting them into the UK you need a import license as if customs check then the fish will be destroyed with out the paper work.

I know many people who already have AdrianHD's fish already in the UK, if u can wait till the auction on the 16th then that would be the best bet to get true fish.

I got some black bar male and females from Piltdownpaul on here and some lovely Peacock male and females off Ebay. :good:

I managed to get 6 Endler females for my 5 Endler males today! :)
They're getting it on right now :rolleyes:

I imagine the males were like "hello ladies :hey:"
Haha! :fun:

Most reactions

Back