Emperor 280 Enough Or Too Much?

Alps

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
1) So since it filter 280 gph would it be cause to much of a current etc. for my 20 gallon long?

2) If it would work where would I place it on the tank, side, back middle, or back side?

3) what is the difference between the emperors and Penguins? People seem to like the emperors more but they never say why they are better. Does the wheel always turn for emperors?

While the 280 would give you more than sufficient filtration (I use one on a 37 gallon tall show tank), I don't think it would create that much current. In my way of thinking the discharge is more or less right at the surface and you want some movement to keep the oxygen levels up. I have mine on the left back of the tank. That's partially driven by the opening in the tank cover and partially by the fact I don't want the filter up front or on the side distracting from the look of the tank. This particular tank is in our home office and it's a real joy to crank back and watch the fish. A good break from work. I only have Emporers (a 280 and 400) so I can't speak to the Penguins and have never tried one. Might add that my 280 is very quiet, only the slight gurgling of water and a very minor hum while the 400 is a bit on the noisy side.

While the 280 would give you more than sufficient filtration (I use one on a 37 gallon tall show tank), I don't think it would create that much current. In my way of thinking the discharge is more or less right at the surface and you want some movement to keep the oxygen levels up. I have mine on the left back of the tank. That's partially driven by the opening in the tank cover and partially by the fact I don't want the filter up front or on the side distracting from the look of the tank. This particular tank is in our home office and it's a real joy to crank back and watch the fish. A good break from work. I only have Emporers (a 280 and 400) so I can't speak to the Penguins and have never tried one. Might add that my 280 is very quiet, only the slight gurgling of water and a very minor hum while the 400 is a bit on the noisy side.

thanks for the reply. What about media slots? How many little mesh bags of media could i fit?, in the 280?

thanks

You can put 2 of Marineland's filter packs in the 280. It also has the option to use one of the manufactured filter packs and comes with an additional empty pack to add your own choice of media. Personally I dumped the Marineland filter packs and replaced them with bioForever inserts. While I think I take good care of my tanks (i.e., regular water changes, good filtration combinations) I also want to keep the maintenance to a reasonable level. I work, travel, have a house and yard to take care of, and a pool to lay around during the summer so I don't want to be "married" to my tanks. :)

Most reactions

Back