Emergency!

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

stucolls

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Evening all

The fish I reported earlier in the week as appearing to be rotting away has gone insane!!!@@

He keeps hiding in the corner of the tank and then literally swimming full speed into each glass side of the tank, it's really distressing to watch!!

What on earth can I do?

hmmm i'd be inclined to get out the clove oil as well, sorry :(

i see your from torquay, im just up the road from you
good.gif

Really???? That's my only option???
If he's rotting away and smashing the sides of the tank I would rather put him out of his misery. It's distressing for you and the other fish in your tank. You will feel crud for a while if you do euthanize him but its better than watching him suffer. That's my opinion but it's your fish at the end of the day.

There are several methods that work the three that are often considered humane are:

Clove oil (or other anesthetic)
Freezing (not recommended for all fish as some react differently to the cold but this method is quick and easily available to aquarists)
Alcohol (vodka specifically)

It's never an easy thing to put down a fish but it is often better than letting the suffering continue.

There are several methods that work the three that are often considered humane are:

Clove oil (or other anesthetic)
Freezing (not recommended for all fish as some react differently to the cold but this method is quick and easily available to aquarists)
Alcohol (vodka specifically)

It's never an easy thing to put down a fish but it is often better than letting the suffering continue.

Do you just put the fish in a container filled with alcohol or anesthetic? how fast is that supposed to work?

Yes that's pretty much it. It's fast which is what makes it humane.

freezing is what I do as well.

Yep, freezer here too, fish should go within 15 mins, i usually put them in a small amount of water and put in the top section of the freezer, i found it heart breaking but its no worse than watching them suffer and die anyway...

If your freezer is very cold, putting them in a small container of water and freezing them will work quickly and (for most fish) cause little harm, but it is considered malpractice in lots of places for a vet to reccomend it because studies have found electrical activity in the unconcious fish after the water has frozen.

I tend to put them in a tall narrow container with as much water as it takes for them to be able to swim and drip vodka in at a fast rate, aiming for a 20-25% solution of 35%-45% ABV Vodka (when I have stronger alcohol around, like the stuff for cleaning lab equipment I use that instead). The aim is to get the alcohol to 7%-12% ABV in the fishes water quickly, without the fish contacting any sections of over 20% alcohol, I know some people who make up a weak solution of vodka and put the fish in it, but I don't like the thought of my fishes last moments being in a net and then dumped into a bizarre environment, I prefer to let them calm down in the container and then bring on the euthanasia.

Once the fish appears dead, I follow up with freezing, because it has been known for brain damaged fish to recover if kept moist.

Another recommended method is decapitation, but I don't have the heart or stomach for that.

Most reactions

Back