Emerald DwarfRasbora thoughts- Microrasbora erythomicron

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Willbacon23

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Has anyone ever kept this little fish before? My lfs keeps them and am wondering what an ideal group size would be with other fish, needs etc etc. And most importantly what thy were like!

I own some nanos, but not the exact species.

They need a good school, at least 8-10, if not larger if you got the space. Tankmates should be of similar size as well.

If you are interested in these, your best bet is to either do a species only with a tank just for them, or do a nano community.

What community tankmates will also depend on the tank size you plan on for them.

Many of the microrasbora species like a planted tank and relatively softer water, some more than others. Theyre also a touch delicate so care should be taken to add them to a mature tank, a few months after cycling it to be safe.

These are essentially the same as CPD which you recently had a thread for. They will even interbreed.
They were my first choice for my nano. I ended up getting CPD instead because my LFS had more stock of CPD and I wanted a big group. Watching them in the shop the c.erythromicron appeared even more timid and prone to hiding than the CPD, but this may be the individual group and the fact that it was a smaller group.

I can't comment on the visual difference because in an LFS tank everything looks dull and boring (at least all of the nano fish).

These are essentially the same as CPD which you recently had a thread for. They will even interbreed.
They were my first choice for my nano. I ended up getting CPD instead because my LFS had more stock of CPD and I wanted a big group. Watching them in the shop the c.erythromicron appeared even more timid and prone to hiding than the CPD, but this may be the individual group and the fact that it was a smaller group.

I can't comment on the visual difference because in an LFS tank everything looks dull and boring (at least all of the nano fish).
I do still love CPD and they are my dream nano fish but I feel adding 20 which is what they really require to feel safe and to diffuse aggression just isn’t possible at this time

Take a look at kubotai rasboras too, microdevario kubotai. Theyre my favourite nano schooler.

I have a school of 8, very active but not overly nippy. They do like to chase one another a lot and constantly move. Theyre like swimming highlighters lol

received_246732246365024.jpeg
received_666638290831875.jpeg

They were a dream fish of mine, i finally got them and i cannot recommend them enough.

In my videos there, thats as large as they grow.

Take a look at kubotai rasboras too, microdevario kubotai. Theyre my favourite nano schooler.

I have a school of 8, very active but not overly nippy. They do like to chase one another a lot and constantly move. Theyre like swimming highlighters lol

View attachment 107416View attachment 107417

They were a dream fish of mine, i finally got them and i cannot recommend them enough.

In my videos there, thats as large as they grow.
Wow they’re so cool! I ll research into their care guide etc if it can fit my tank. In my 25 I’ve currently got 9 cories and (soon to be 8 glowlight danios) so have to make sure I can fit a school of 8 in but seems amazing

IIRC your tank is a 25G. If CPD are what you want I would not stress about overloading the tank - assuming it is cycled in the first place. I have 30 in a 15G with a large group of cherry shrimp, a nerite and hundreds of Malaysian Trumpet Snails.

The microdevario kubotai are also great. In another tank (20G) I have 25 of these together with a group of dwarf chain loach. IMO all of the nano shoaling fish are better off in a big group. Be warned that these guys are exactly the opposite to CPD - they are hyper and love high flow. They also stay in the top half of the tank.

A 3rd option may be ember tetra. Here is the group of 20 I picked up yesterday from my local Maidenhead aquatics. These are captive bred and they had them in tap water. Our tap water is very similar to yours. https://www.fishforums.net/threads/office-space.460205/page-2#post-3915370

IIRC your tank is a 25G. If CPD are what you want I would not stress about overloading the tank - assuming it is cycled in the first place. I have 30 in a 15G with a large group of cherry shrimp, a nerite and hundreds of Malaysian Trumpet Snails.

The microdevario kubotai are also great. In another tank (20G) I have 25 of these together with a group of dwarf chain loach. IMO all of the nano shoaling fish are better off in a big group. Be warned that these guys are exactly the opposite to CPD - they are hyper and love high flow. They also stay in the top half of the tank.

A 3rd option may be ember tetra. Here is the group of 20 I picked up yesterday from my local Maidenhead aquatics. These are captive bred and they had them in tap water. Our tap water is very similar to yours. https://www.fishforums.net/threads/office-space.460205/page-2#post-3915370
I think hyper high flow is exactly what I need having a spray bar! I will look into ember tetras as well as that could be really interesting. I always like to stay caution w my stocking. In my 25 gallon currently due to some swaps with my brother it’s gojng to comprise of 8 Pygmy cories 6 glowlight danio and 6 bronze corys. In my 25G I feel maybe a pod of 8-10 of ember tetras or the kubotai could still work but I feel you may be more knowledgeable than me

Most reactions

Back