Elephant Nose

dawning

Reaction score
Howdy,
I picked myself up an Elephant Nose fish a few days ago. I've been reading things online and it seems like I should be feeding it live bloodworms. I've been throwing in freeze dried bloodworms, but my guppies eat pretty well all of it.

What should I be feeding this guy? Will flakes work out?

Thanks,
Dawning

freeze dried bloods,tubifex,krill,shrimp
frozen brine shrimp
raw deli shrimp,crab,lobster or any kind of raw fish you have on hand...
mine also loved algae wafers...

just make sure you grind up the pieces of food like you would for fry...

I have quite a few of these cute little guys
mine love to eat frozen bloodworm, but when im feeding my other fish they will help themselves to whatever is on offer.
eg flakes, tablets pretty much what ever.

Just make sure that they do get some fresh food like frozen blooworm every now and then to keep them well conditioned.

But dont worry yourself about them to much they should be fine.
They prodominently like to scavenge from the bottom throughout the day.

good luck :nod:

Hey i just joined this page because i just bought an elephant nose also.

i know WHAT to feed him.BUT HOW?! he's a bottom feeder....all the other fish swim up to the top and gobble all the food very quickly.

The filter pushes alot of flakes all over the tank but not the blood worms.
he stays between two branches of a fake plant constantly. 24/7

i've had him for 3 days and i'm getting worried.

Also i saw him eat a flake then spit it out. So now i know he's probably shy and depressed. HELP!

;) ok so try getting some sinking tablets of some kind or alternativly try feeding at night.

these fish enjoy each others company so try have a few of them. You may find that he may be a bit happier then.

Dont be worried he will get enough food to survive, as i said they are scavengers so when the lights go out at night time that is more than likley when he will come out to feed.

Try frozen bloodworm from your LPS this should disperse and sink to the bottom.

good luck :rolleyes:

While they are social fish, you need to have either one of them or about 6+. I've read this on many websites. Some claim you can get away with about 3, but really, most claim if you have too few, one usually dominates and makes life miserable for the rest. That's the deal with the Elephants.

thanks...i think ima find a way to minimize the ammount of fish in my tank...

i have this huge pink gourami that seems to dominate but he's friendly over all

i just gotta make sure my elephant eats...i dont want other fish stealin' his food...he hardly moves...i feel like stickin' my hand down there and hand feeding him haha...doubt that would work

i'll go pick up some of those frozen stuff

What has worked well for me and my elephants is to buy one of those shower containers that hooks inside the tank via suction cups, and has holes in it.. you can get them quite large now a days. At feeding time, catch the elephant nose and put it in the shower container. They quickly become accustomed to the process, and aren't freaks about the net.

I asked my chemistry teacher for a pipet, and she gave me about a dozen, after asking "what type of critter are these for?" .. she knows me well. HAHA

I've rescued a lot of bettas from walmart, and saved the clear cups they come in, because they're a perfect size for thawing bloodworm blocks. After they're thawed, suck them up with the pipet, and shoot them right in front of the elphant nose.

The only issue I've ever had is if you have smaller fish, like danios.. that can fit through the holes in the shower container.

I've also used the shower container for fish that have been beat up on, or are doing the beating, and could use a time out for a few days.

Boy am I long-winded this evening.

By the way, it's Calusa.. I'm baaaack!! (does anyone remember me? probably not..)

When we first got ours they were quiet timid as well and didn't seem to be feeding. However fish seem to know when and where you are in a room. Try putting the food in and stepping away from the tank so that you are almost hidden and watch, you may be suprised. Ours slowly came around and feed at any stage when food is presented to them. Also once it is settled in if it is anything like ours they will actually feed out of your hand. Ours will lay in our hands to feed, then again my clown loaches do the same so they may feel as if they are being neglected. However it has taken a few months for them to get comfortable enough to do it.
Cheers,
Bryce.

Most reactions

Back