Eheim Professionel 3E 600T

ufo 550

Reaction score
I'm toying with the idea of buying the above filter for a future aqaurium. However, the spec shows the inbuilt heater is only 210watt. Surley this is only large enough for tanks up to 360 approx?

http://www.eheim.de/eheim/inhalte/index.jsp?key=liniendetail_37395_ehen

I'm toying with the idea of buying the above filter for a future aqaurium. However, the spec shows the inbuilt heater is only 210watt. Surley this is only large enough for tanks up to 360 approx?

http://www.eheim.de/...tail_37395_ehen

The difference with heaters that are built into filters is the amount of water contact and flow around them. The water will pass over a larger surface area and also circulate quicker giving a more constant temprature rather than the on/off you get with stand alone heaters.

The issue you have with built in heaters is maintance. They need to be cleaned more regulary as build up off minerals can occure which then reduces the surface area that water is in contact with.

Older filters with internal heaters used to fail due to lack of maintance and often the circut quality but I haven't heard much about the new Eheims having any issues.

The only issues with the filter shown is the price, at £380 (retail, with no media). For around £330 you could get a Eheim Pro III 2080 and an external in-line heater with media.

Or check out the Eheim 2180. I found that for sale for £320 and has a built in 500w heater if you are worried. With media you would be looking at £380. I tried to find the 3E 600T for sale online but it seems most places don't have it stocked and not showing prices. One place had it on for £440 but again not in stock.

Kind Regards,

Adam

http://www.eheim.de/...tail_37395_ehen

The difference with heaters that are built into filters is the amount of water contact and flow around them. The water will pass over a larger surface area and also circulate quicker giving a more constant temprature rather than the on/off you get with stand alone heaters.

The issue you have with built in heaters is maintance. They need to be cleaned more regulary as build up off minerals can occure which then reduces the surface area that water is in contact with.

Older filters with internal heaters used to fail due to lack of maintance and often the circut quality but I haven't heard much about the new Eheims having any issues.

The only issues with the filter shown is the price, at £380 (retail, with no media). For around £330 you could get a Eheim Pro III 2080 and an external in-line heater with media.

Or check out the Eheim 2180. I found that for sale for £320 and has a built in 500w heater if you are worried. With media you would be looking at £380. I tried to find the 3E 600T for sale online but it seems most places don't have it stocked and not showing prices. One place had it on for £440 but again not in stock.

Kind Regards,

Adam
Yes I saw the 2180 with a 500watt heater (both have a similar flow rate), that's what I can't understand with the 2178? The thing I like about the 2178 is you can connect it up to a pc, bit of a gimmick, but I like that sort of thing :fun:. Think perhaps the price of the 2178 will come down as it becomes more readily available. I've emailed Eheim, to see if they might shed some light on it.

For reference. Email responce from Eheim:

'The Thermofilter 2178 can use between a 300-600 litre tank. The Eheim Professional 3 type 2080/2180 is use for a 400-1200 litre tank. The 2080/2180 heating power is 500 W, and the 2178 heating power is 210 W.

However, shan't be buying the 2178 'cos ' The software control centre is compatible with Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7 in 32-bit Version. A Windows 64-bit Version or OS-Version is not compatible with the filter'. :sad:

Most reactions

Back