Eheim Filter Not Working!

anniekins

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi, I have an Eheim PRO3 2180 and have just done my usual fortnightly change of filter pads but have hit a major problem because after priming the system the pump has not re-started. I've gone through the process five times tonight without success! I have tried to remove the impeller from the chamber but have not been able to remove it as it seems to be stuck.If anyone has experience with these filters could you advise me if the impeller is likely to be the problem in this situation or if not what could be causing the problem? It was operating fine up until tonight,I am able to use the heater but am worried how long my fish will survive without the filter working. The tank is large and is fully stocked with mature rainbow fish. Feeling panicky now, can anyone offer advice please! :sad:

Have a look at this post and see if it helps.
Same filter basically but without the heater.

http://www.fishforum...1&#entry2931772

Is the cannister and prefilter filled with water?
I have the same priming button on my filter and it wont work if there is insufficient water.

Have a look at this post and see if it helps.
Same filter basically but without the heater.

http://www.fishforum...1&#entry2931772

Is the cannister and prefilter filled with water?
I have the same priming button on my filter and it wont work if there is insufficient water.
Hi Big Bad Barry,
Thnks for your reply......I checked the link you gave me but it doesn't seem to shed any light on the problem. I've had the filter for over a year now and this has not happened before. I do have the prefilter empty before priming then the water can be heard entering the system. When pressing the priming button air is coming out of the spray bar along with some caught waste but when the filter is turned on nothing happens at all....... :sad:

Hi Big Bad Barry,
Thnks for your reply......I checked the link you gave me but it doesn't seem to shed any light on the problem. I've had the filter for over a year now and this has not happened before. I do have the prefilter empty before priming then the water can be heard entering the system. When pressing the priming button air is coming out of the spray bar along with some caught waste but when the filter is turned on nothing happens at all....... :sad:

Have you tried having the spraybar above the water level when priming?
May need need to press the button lots of times.

I take it the head is getting power and you can hear it switching on?
Would be surprised if the impeller was damaged as it is relatively new.
Re-check everything, hoses - not kninked and are filling with water, lever is on. Empty pre-filter and try again.

Fingers crossed for you.
See if anybody can advise you whether impeller shaft is broken or not.

Most reactions

Back